Search form

Flash character animation beta testing!

118 posts / 0 new
Last post

pcdoctor: no worries man! I think this is great because I want to be able to supply a wide variety of tutorials on animating different things in Flash and it's great to see what happens with people coming in from different levels of experience with flash.

I looked at your flash file and I can see what went wrong. It's easy if you grab the right head file from the library. Maybe I need to label them differently so that it's more obvious. Anyways, if you grab the symbol named "but_head_all" which in the library you will see his whole head including mouth and chin, it has contained in it all of the mouths, and you dont't have to drag them out and contruct the face on your own.

So tell me where I can help you. What tutorials would be helpful to you? Have you gone through all of the tutorials/lessons that come with flash?

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Couldn't help but post this.
The guy that created this is a member of the Brackenwood forum.
I think this guy did an awesome job!

http://www.deviantart.com/view/19334506/

Yep, you found it, that's the right head! Now using the mouth comp system, you can lip sync to the dialogue:

http://clubhouse.cartoonsolutions.com/mouth_comps.html

ahhh yes, you've found the other forum where I've placed this same thread. I totally agree that he did a fantastic job and I was especially impressed with the attention to small details that he added.

Hi there. Although I'm not going to animate your character for you...
It is nice to see that you plan on animating a character that complicated in Flash. I am in the middle of building 5 or so character builds for characters that complicated and was starting to worry that I was crazy for attempting it. (although most the characters im making have long overcoats on and cowboy hats...)

anyways I would like to see what people come up with, using your build.
best of luck

Wow. I didn't even know some of those things were moveable. Did he draw the "pinch" hand at the end, or is that just something I missed?

I look forward to someone animating this charater too.

I'm still kind of at a loss for how you did the automatic blinking system. If you click deep into the hierarchy of symbols, it wasn't evident on my MX2K4.

He drew the pinch hand at the end. I also love his background.

I'm still kind of at a loss for how you did the automatic blinking system. If you click deep into the hierarchy of symbols, it wasn't evident on my MX2K4.

If you go into the head in the layers you'll see a layer named "blink" That symbol "but_eyeblink_front" and "but_eyeblink_side" and both movie clips. If you double click and go into their symbols you'll see the animation. Because movie clips will loop the animation contained in their symbol regardless of how many frames are out on the stage.

Have I gone through all the tutorials in flash.

HA!
No.
I guess I just need to sit down one weekend and just study.
Here is a cartoon that I made in 1999 using flash 4.

This was the first cartoon that I ever made.
There is no lipsycing or talking, so it was easy to do.
Remember, I'm a computer tech/network admin.
I created this cartoon in order to try and get business for the Y2K scare.
This is also the only cartoon that I've ever made.
http://webpages.charter.net/cartoons/brokenpc.zip

Back to the butler file.
I saw the head file and noticed that it had all of the head shots but I wasn't sure what head to use in the timeline.
I understand the x-sheet but I guess I need to start with easy words first.
I have the "Flash 5 Bible" and chapter 37 is about cartooning and lipsyncing.
They lipsync using the words woof woof bark.
I wonder if I need to crawl before I can work or use easy words first?
I wont give up because I want to create a cartoon for Memorial Day.
(Something showing people eating hamburgers and stuff)
Since I stink at making cartoons, I guess it will be Labor Day before I can make something decent.

I think it would be fun to post the results! Basically I first, need to ensure that the character is set up right, easy to use and the animation produced demonstrates that.

Obviously, there is no way that any premade character, even with all the different body parts made, will be able to contain any and all poses needed for any animation,that anyone can dream up. What I'm hoping to do is to be able to supply enough that the basics, and hopefully even more can be accomplished so that good looking animation can be achieved.

By the way, I'm a female flash cartoonist wannabe.

I still enjoy watching cartoons.
I tape "Hey Arnold" and watch Mucha Lucha sometimes.
I also love the Pixar cartoons.

I got the file, I should have some time to start tonight. The comps system is right up my alley.

The comps system is right up my alley.

Yes, it is very cool (wish I was the one who thought of it!) If any of you want to see what it's all about, here is a tutorial on it:

http://clubhouse.cartoonsolutions.com/mouth_comps.html

I just did a first draft of my synching. That numbering system is a huge help. Once I got the quick memory of the head positions, knowing the second digit's corresponding shape for that head position came right to me. Downright intuitive!

That's awesome! Glad to see that you picked up the system so quickly!

Don't forget, lip syncing reads best if you have your mouths hit their pose one frame before the frame where the actual sound is heard!

Pages