Search form

Flash character animation training?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flash character animation training?

Greetings all!

I have a request that I'm hoping someone here can help me with or perhaps point me in the right direction...

I'm an interactive designer for SAS inSchool (www.sasinschool.com), a industry leading k-12 online educational software development company. My group is comprised of 7 artists/designers, most of whom design/develop they're interactive content in Flash. The overall skill set of the group ranges from intermediate to advanced but we have all been working with Flash for 5+ years.

We are currently looking to further our skills in Flash based character animation and taking Flash to video. We are interested in contracting with a professional Flash animator to come on-site for 4-5 days (hotel and travel included) and help us to expand our understanding of these subjects.

A basic outline of topics we'd like to cover:

1. Standard setups/workflows for character animation in Flash:
1a. Best programs to create character art in.
1b. Best character setup/organization practices.
1c. Actual animation creation process. What's the key differences between traditional frame-by-frame animation and Flash limited style of animation (ie. Do you actually draw all you're keys by hand or just create a character library and try to animated based off the library?)
1d. Tips for lip sync, squash and stretch, etc…
2. Tips, techniques, standards for converting Flash to video (for the web and broadcast).
3. Tips for compositing Flash animations into other video footage (with After Effects or Premier).
4. Work-arounds for the built in limitation of Flash:
4a. Creating a virtual camera?
4b. How to achieve better non-linear ease-in/ease-outs when Flash doesn't have a function-curve editor (like After Effects or a typical 3D app).
4c. Better ways of editing/working with Flash's limited sound editing tools.

…and anything else that might be of value.

We're not looking for a traditional animation class per-se. We realize animation is an intensive course of study requiring years to master. We simply would like to get a better understanding of how classic animation workflows/principals translate to the Flash environment and how we might be able to begin to improve our own fledging animation skills.

Ideally, we'd like someone to take us through a simple project from start to finish that might address all of these questions and show us a real "workplace" example of how its done.

If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity (or know anyone who might be) please reply!

Thanks,

Wheels

I'd love to help you and your company out. I have 5 years experience making cartoons in Flash. I've actually done presentations on Flash character animation in Colleges and Universities recently. You can check out my work at my websites listed below in my signature. I also have started writing some tutorials as well. The first ones are about lip sync animation:

http://clubhouse.cartoonsolutions.com

you can contact me directly at:
ryan@cartoonsolutions.com

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

I'd vouch for Blue!

He knows Flash inside-out and sideways!

Splatman :D

Thanks Splats! :D

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Have you found anyone yet Wheels? I'd be happy to help out if I can.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."