Search form

Animation Quotas

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animation Quotas

Hi All,

I would like to know about the international quota structure of animation studios, the world over. Ie. for each department in studio, like Layout, Animation, In Between, Digital Ink&Paint etc. If there is a standard? or is each studio having their own individual line up?

Thanks

quota

What I meant is how many feet is supposed to finish by an artist, say a week? How do a professional studio setup evaluvate an artiste's performance?

It completely depends on the type of the project they are working on & their deliverable schedules. For an average standard we can take 25 - 40 feet an animator a week when it comes to Animated series of a certain standard.

However as i said, if a studio is under paid or Lavishly fed for the job they are doing, the figures might get skewed out of proportions.

We need to fix up either Quality, Budget or Schedule as a parameter against which the output can be estimated.

It's different for each department. Story Boarding a 5 minute show could take somewhere around 4-5 weeks for a 3-5 member story board team. As mentioned earlier, it again depends on the Studio & its executives.

Hope this helps..

Sandeep Gangatkar

Quota

Hi
Thank you very much for that. Actually I was just wondering if there are any international quota standards...lets say something that disney might have. They have lots of shows and in different quality so how would they be judging for fixing up the expense of a project. Well like you said it would differ very much with the kind of setup. But if we had a set of structure it would be something that we could look up to.

From whatever little i know disney also goes with 25 - 40 feet a week with 40 man hours. But normally, amount of output is not the only thing that affects Disney's Pricing.

In General Disney's total Production Expenses "Below the Line" is less than Half the whole Budget. The Other half includes, Aquiring Rights, Story Rights, Music, Casting, Executives pay, & manymore.

As a Standard for Episodic 2D animation you can take around 5 feet an animator a day (8 manhours). That should do.

Sandeep Gangatkar

Other department quotas

Hello,

Thank you for that information. Now we have made out abt an animators quota, how would you guage a layout artiste and an ib artiste quota? Ink and paint also would be useful.
Thanks

Hey TALLDK,

Are you looking at outsourcing or servicing?? It looks you are over enthu with the figures. Don't hurry up. Take ur time to understand the requisites for output.

Anyhow, i will try answering your question.

Normally, Here in India on a Project of considerable good quality with a Just sufficient Budget & Schedule we can expect around 15-20 Clean-up's a man day of average 8 man-hours. The same figures holds good with IB.

However as i told you it completely depends on the complexity of work involved. There are instances where we have seen an output of hardly 7-10 drawings a day or even 25-30 drawings a day.

Layouts depends on the complexity & no of overlays needed. We need to compare layouts having just a sun & few clouds against a Bird view of a huge area of land with lots of vegitation & monumental elements.

Ink-Paint totally depends on your kind of set-up. Roughly a minute length of work should be processed with 3 machines for the purpose. It again depends on the no of overlays.

I won't be able to compare these with foreign studios as i havn't worked Overseas yet & am unaware of their figures.

If you are collecting these figures to make your estimates for a quote on schedule or budget i need to warn you, my experience might not be your virtue. It can get to be disastrous to work your figures on speculations.

Anyhow best of lucks.

Sandeep Gangatkar

Thanks again

Hi there,

That was indeed a very good piece of information. Well yup, you were right, i wanted it to make a quote on a work. Well atleast it does give me a basic idea. I will take up your warning too ;)
Again a very big Thank you, and if you can get me any more information regarding the production details i would be glad. :D

what do you mean?