Search form

Best 3d animation school?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best 3d animation school?

What is the best college to go to for 3D animation?

As a student, I know how you feel... "Somebody hold the door!" lol

My college

:rolleyes: Hey all, I am a junior in hs, and am planning on attending Full Sail University in Orlando Fl. I am wondering if this is a good school to attend, though I know people have been hired from there for movies like the incredibles and LOTR, but I want to get the best education possible :cool: . Anyone know much?

Ps. Im also trying to get scholarships for this college, but am wondering if I get one from another college can I use it for full sail, and am also wondering what a grant is... :confused:

Wow The First Time...

Hello,

Wow, thats the first time anyone has said anything good about Fullsail.

I have a friend who attended their animation program and she was very unhappy with it and tried to get her money back...

I would just say buyer beware!

Thanks,

haha I agree. Although one experience is hardly a reason to go through with anything. Having looked at a collective opinion for a few years now though, the stock reply to the Fullsail question is a resounding NO! Especially with Ringling as a comparable option in cost. Fullsail is a drawing of Ringling/SCAD/CalArts, etc. on a paper plate, and has what you'd expect on the other side.

BEST 3D School

Best 3D school...

So what are the criteria ....???

Is it a small (self proclaimed) program in Florida who takes in the best kids by portfolio?

Maybe. But then again - who really knows?

Our program doesn't always take in the best kids- but, the best students DO qualify for scholarships.

We do give kids a chance to develop with the BEST, most up to date, facilities (265,000 square feet of animation heaven), and some really terrific instructors. The rest is up to the students!

Everyone knows high school art, for the most part, in the U.S. is a joke! So we, Savannah College of Art and Design, give kids a chance to develop...as artists and people.

In the last week, we have had:

Cokey Roberts speaking on Founding Mothers

A presentation of Mark Twain's papers (accompanied by an art exhibit of illustrations from his writings).

2 Glenn Vilppu lectures (one for the instructors and one for students)- besides his two weekly classes.

The Sidewalk Arts Festival (thousands attended this Woodstock of art)

A performance of WEST SIDE STORY.

Tomorrow is the sand sculpture event - if you go down to Tybee Island's North Beach - you will see a quarter of a mile of sand sculptures.

The kids at the Lacoste, France are just returning from a week in Paris and are preparing to walk the red carpet at Cannes.

Next week, student the Classical Animation club is bringing in Michel Gagne.

This week, I personally know of kids getting jobs with Pixar, Disney, Vinton,
Charlex, and Gang of 7 (yes, 2D lives!).

So what are the criteria?

I don't know who is the best...but we have it all here.

Thanks.

I've seen accepted and non-accepted work from accepted people at all the major schools. Admission has little to do sometimes with the best portfolios.

Geez, 265,000. That's twice the size of the Lowe's up in Rockledge!

I've never heard of Gang of 7, and now that I've found out about them that might look bad hehe ...Hell of a track record...I saw Pixar and 2D in the same sentence and my left arm melted off, so I had to look deeper into what you meant...

thanks everyone

I am a junior in high school and looking for a university to attend for 3d animation.I was not sure if there was a certain school that companies tend to lean towards or anything.I'm really having a hard time trying to decide where I should try to go.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

No Favorites

Hello.

Companies can't afford to play favorites because they never know where a talented young person will come from...it can be any school.

They do have their list of schools where they like to recruit.

I'm going to throw Animation Mentor.com into the mix.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I know you were not referring to a specific person. I just wanted to say what I said for the record.

Companies might not play favorites with schools, but some schools are better than others when it comes to the value of the training you get. Companies see this and they follow where the good students are coming from. Location is also a major factor. Seeing as how the industry is pretty much based around California, check out the schools in that area. You're more likely to get a job coming out if you're already in the area than if you have to be relocated.

Academy of Art in San Fran seems to keep putting out amazing animators.
UCLA and Art Center in LA are really good as well.

Vancouver Film School has lots of people with very solid stuff, and as Gavin pointed out lots of companies come to Ringling and the work coming out of there speaks for itself.

I am getting the feeling that all these threads asking for help with selecting a college is from one person. There must be five of these threads on 3d colleges. I don't know, it is just a feeling.

Harvard for grad
Yale for undergrad

I disagree.

Stanford for Undergrad, London School of Economics for grad

I think it's actually just that there are that many people who -say- they want certain things bad enough, but won't even take the time to look up potential answers to their question before asking them.

How about 2D animation school?

I'll be graduated from a 2 year animation program next year. I guess it's about time to start looking... people have suggested RISD,but I don't know....

U.S. News and World Report actually gave them a tie for highest rating overall as far as private art institutions...go figure...

I think it's actually just that there are that many people who -say- they want certain things bad enough, but won't even take the time to look up potential answers to their question before asking them.

I have been doing my research, looking online and recieving info through mail from colleges, I just wanted some opinions.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." ---Gandalf

No offense to be taken, I wasn't referring to any one specific person.

supinfocom is the best place to study for 3D animation, in my humble opinion. that place always produces great student films.

OK I'll say it, Ringling School of Art and Design. I would say a good 3/4 of our Computer Animation graduating class already have good paying industry (game and film) jobs and the recruiting still isn't over. Every major company was here this year (sometimes twice); they come because they like what they see.

Supinfocom is a great school too if you are in Europe; I always enjoy seeing there work. Their structure is more about team based projects as compared to ours which is mostly turining out individual projects.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

I've always kinda wondered with the success of recruiting how unexpectedly strange the turnover rate must be for studios. A person would be very fortunate to get jobs at major places like that, and while there is a lot of hopping around from place-to-place, that doesn't change the total number of openings. And no one that loves what they're doing is gonna leave a job like that.

Can they just afford to hire that many additional people year in and year out? Are things that healthy?

Can they just afford to hire that many additional people year in and year out? Are things that healthy?

This is the best we have seen the market in years. In the late 90's things were pretty hot and then things cooled off but it's definately on the upswing at the moment. Partly due to the game industry being as hot as it is and different places trying to get into the feature animation business.

I just hope it stays that way.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida