Search form

Motion Studies

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Motion Studies

Hey guys, I have a question for Larry and everyone else who is at or went to SCAD. Today one of my friends informed me that it is possible to skip motion studies and go straight to Animation I if I fill out a form and submit a demo reel to the department chair. My question for you guys is, would you recommend skipping or taking motion studies based on my skill level? My url is http://pichu10.tripod.com. Please watch my animations and let me know what you think.

MightyMew1's picture
"Animation isn't about how well you draw, but how much to believe." -Glen Keane

Thanks so much for the input guys! I'll sign up for Motion Studies next quarter. David, do you remember what kind of stuff you did in the class? I have yet to hear a concrete explination of what the class is about.

Sorry I don't go to SCAD, or when there in the past. What exactly is the motion Studies class? Could you give us a brief overview of what is offered in the class?

Mahalo,
the Ape

Oh, and I don't think Larry will pass you if you keep saying "animation(s)" ;)

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I know you do some rotoscoping and you fool around in Premiere. Other than that I don't really know. People have said it isn't animation related and that it's about motion in general since animation, advertising, gaming, and broadcast design have to take it. I figured I'd ask here since the people I asked at school seemed clueless for some reason.

You should be talking to the school, that is your best scource.

Regardless of what you may have heard I think it was useful. Learning the beginnings of screen space and getting into an almost quazi film mindset wont hurt you at all. I dont know if they still do this but when I took motion studies at scad a few years ago we had to do a bolex film project and create a five minute film. That was a blast and really opens your eyes more to the context of the medium of animation on a screen in terms of film or what not.

It may be to your benefit....to just bite the bullet and take it. You will gain something from it.

Oh and as Ape says...dont go around spitting out the word "animations". :)

Larry made that point to some of my classes before. Never forgot. :)

Alright, I'll take the class. I was wary about skipping it since I was afriad I might be missing something really important (thats why I asked you guys). I'll also never say "animations" again. :p

Motion studies was one of my favorite classes at SCAD, and I came out of it with some of my favorite work. I heard they took out the Bolex assignment which was one of my favorites, and would probably change my perception of the class if I took it today.

Well it sounds like Rob thinks you should take it, and I'd agree with him. When I was in school, I had to take a video editing class. I didn't think I'd learn anything that I could use for animation, but I learned a ton. I still use a lot of what I learned in that class to this very day, and will for the rest of my life. Just try to learn as much as you can. Good luck.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."