Search form

Laptops?....For animation??

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Laptops?....For animation??

I've been considering getting one of those things, in anticipation of relocating and taking jobs that are God-knows-where... But which one? How much capacity would I need? How much power? And what bells and whistles besides CD/DVD-RW? And let's don't forget software.
Heck, should I even consider it at all?
Any ideas?
At all?

Aleph66's picture
"...It is a foolish mistake to even try to second-guess the public. Make things for yourself and if by chance someone agrees with you, it's coincidental." --Julian Schnabel

"...It is a foolish mistake to even try to second-guess the public. Make things for yourself and if by chance someone agrees with you, it's coincidental."

--Julian Schnabel

I use a laptop for animation all the time. I use Flash on an Athlon 2400+ w/ 512 MB of RAM, a 60 GB HDD and a 250 GB external USB drive. I also have a Wacom tablet and a USB mouse since I hate touchpads.

All in all it's a good mobile setup. I've had to finish projects in hotel rooms before, so a laptop can be invaluable.

...But how would that kind of setup work for memory-hogs like Photoshop and After Effects? And what about rendering those bad boys? :confused: Though I expect it could work. Maybe.

"...It is a foolish mistake to even try to second-guess the public. Make things for yourself and if by chance someone agrees with you, it's coincidental."

--Julian Schnabel

I can vouch for the ram being enough... and I'm at 2.08gHZ...

After Effects?

Cram as much memory as can fit in those slots!

My $0.02

Splatman :D

No, Don't have one. I have an old computer. But I am amazed that Laptops aren't the norm. I suppose people still feel like they're paying for something the bigger it is and one feels more secure with a PC and tower; not as easy to walk off with.....But if I had my way I'd have a laptop.

I love the portability, but I haven't seen a comparable monitor in ages...And the work I'd be doing is highly visual. Plus it can't be truly portable when you have to recharge it. I understand WHY but it still is something you have to deal with.

I think it's less about paying for size and more for the fact that the same computing abilities can have a 400-500 dollar difference, in some circumstances even more, between the desktop version and the laptop version. Most people budget for computers and if I can have The Amazing Animation Machine 3000 in desktop form, or The Really Neat Animation Machine 2000 in portable form, I -am- pigheaded enough to go for the extra horses. I also understand why -notebooks- are more expensive...still, again, doesn't change the reality of it...