Search form

3D gaming vs. 3D animation

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
3D gaming vs. 3D animation

heres the scoop guys.....

Im about to graduate out of classical animation at sheridan collage.
Im hoping to find a job at the end, but just incase i have applied to 3D animation at Seneca and Sheridan, and also 3D gaming at Seneca. I have been accepted into all three, and now i am having trouble deciding. :confused:

I origianlly wanted to end up in gaming (being an avid gamer), but after three years of solid animation under my belt, i have found a new love for the art of animation.

So my question to whome ever can help me out: What is the state of both industries? And what do you recomend taking? Is it easier to take 3D animation and find a job in Gaming or the other way around?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance :)

animator303's picture
"The only obsticle i have to over-come, is what to turn this blank peice of paper into" .... by Me... or probably someone more important than me... :)

"The only obsticle i have to over-come, is what to turn this blank peice of paper into" .... by Me... or probably someone more important than me... :)

thanks

ok thanks guys

I was thinking lately about going into 3d animation aswell, cause like you said, it should be easier to make the leap over to games.

hmmmm, well lots to think about....

lets hope i get a job after this year... make my decission a lot easier.. :)

Thanks again

P.S. the gaming program is one year. and the upside to that is there is only 15 people in the class... so almost 100% placement after.

how long would you have to be in school for your 3d&gaming courses? if its anything like a year or two its hard to say where the industry will be then. a lot of animation is being shipped overseas in the 2d realm. i dont think the rest of the world has caught up to the US in 3d. so getting a 3d animation job would be pretty likely. a 3d gaming job, i wouldnt know what to say bout that but i know that a lot of studios (movie) are taking note of the market and will be pumping money into it. so it should grow even bigger.

Take the 3D animation course. If you can get a job in animation, you can get a job in games. Not so the other way around.
Plus, you don't wanna be working in games when you're 40, believe me.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy [i]-Tom Waits
[/i]