Search form

how is this done?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
how is this done?

Can someone please tell me how this technique is achieved? I really like it a lot and would love to do something with it but I don't know how it works.

http://www.vanarts.com/gallery/2d_2003/2d_03_JosePerez.mov

(Told ya there'd be lots of questions!)

-Mark

Well, 2d animation. These shots are pencil tests unless the last one. Materials: pencils, paper and patience. There are a lot of pencil test softs to get the same results. Monkeyjam is free, for example.

Alén

got that far

Yeah, I knew it was a pencil test kinda thing. My question wasn't clear enough I now realize.

What I really am trying to find out is how they got it from the pencil drawing into the computer. I still haven't found a good way to do that. Basically, I find that when I scan my pencil drawings, I am not able to save them in such a way that the white space on the page isn't also part of the resulting image. I've tried a number of times with photoshop to select out the drawing and save it to a file that another program could import and recognize the transparency. I used streamline for another project but it lost that pencily quality. Maybe I'm missing something (I imagine so) but I was hoping that someone could tell me how'd they done something similar to what was posted.

Thanks,

-Mark

I'm not sure how that person brought their animation into the computer but you can see the background on traditional pencil test set ups. What they have is a camera set up over an animaton disk to take pictures of your drawings. If you want a BG, you put that drawing down first, and leave it there. You turn on the light behind the animation disk. Then you put your animated drawings over them, and the BG will show through because it's back lit.

I believe Digicel Flipbook can also do this digitally, but I'm not sure. Check them out at http://www.digicelinc.com/

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

In Photoshop...

You could always keep the background drawing as the background layer, and any drawings that move around over it, change their Layer Blending Properties (in the Layers window, the drop-down box in the upper-left) to Multiply. The eventual outcome from a line drawing is that the white will be discarded and the dark areas of pencil will stay relatively opaque and solid (in other words, they are visible and the rest of the paper isn't)...

Try it and see how it goes...

Sorry, Markus. I have to listen people asking me if the computer draw the inbetweenings, if I could make a animation for them ("it take you just a few minutes" they use to say), etc, etc.

Gasp... :eek: I see this people everywhere, even at forums. I was wrong. Sorry, please ;) .

Anyway, you are right. It´s clear. I think he could scan the animation pencil line and became white color as alpha channel. Then he could compose the animation in multiply blending (After Effects for example).

Alén