Search form

whats the going wages for animators?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
whats the going wages for animators?

i've wanted to animate forever, but now i have to consider whether it is lucrative enough to support a family. about what is the going rate animators typically get?

Generally speaking, there are thousands of animators that make enough of a living to support a family. The going wage varies wildly, but obviously the potential is certainly there if you're willing to work hard and you have the talent.

Well that is not really saying much is it cuz that is true of any profession.....

i've wanted to animate forever, but now i have to consider whether it is lucrative enough to support a family. about what is the going rate animators typically get?

It could be anywhere from $300 a week to $3000 a week.

It depends on so many factors: what you are animating, what kind of media, where you are animating, what your experience is.

There is no "typical" value here.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

3000 per week? I find it hard to believethere is that kind of money out there with all the outsourcing going on. What kind of work is that?

3000 per week? I find it hard to believethere is that kind of money out there with all the outsourcing going on. What kind of work is that?

Lead animators on features can rake in those bucks, directors, very prolific lay-out artists, board artists can as well. In CG as well as any 2d projects happening here.
Keep in mind that the rate does not necessarily mean you'd see that year long--it might be for a few months and then the project ends.
Right now, I'm getting about $1000 a week to storyboard for 2D animation--but end up doing the work in about 1/2 the time I'm alotted, thus in effect doubling the rate.
I know of folks animating on a 2D direct to DVD featurette at $500 a week-- and people making $10,000 a month--it really depends on what and where you are.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)