Search form

is it worthy to pay $20,000 for one-year diploma of 3D animation ?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
is it worthy to pay $20,000 for one-year diploma of 3D animation ?

Hi, everybody, I am considering going to VanArts (Vancouver Institute of Media
Arts, Canada) to study a one-year diploma programme of 3D animation with a tuition of CAD $20,000, is it worth or not?
Anyone could tell me what's the difference between a diploma and a certificate on such a training programme?
I am wondering whether a diploma or certificate should be attained.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thomas
------------------------
Chinese Weiqi (the game Go) is a broad and deep art.

Sorry Don,

I didn't plug ol' Capilano because I plug it too much. People are going to think that I work for you or something (and that is something I vowed back in college NEVER to do ;) ).

Got your invite to the grad show in the mail. Thanks for the invite and even more for the offer of free beer, but Vancouver is a bit outta my budget right now. Maybe I can get Ubisoft to send me?! LOL

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

One of these years.....or back in Ottawa

We're confirmed now... going to be needing two full time classical teachers for the north China program by Sept/October........interested?

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... No.

I have had my fill of working in "exotic" and developing nations and third world countries. I think I will just grow old gracefully here in good ol' Canada, where a tube of tooth paste is a recognizable thing, and where I can get a good old President's Choice hamburger if I want one. India left a bad taste in my mouth for working abroad unfortunately (literally... That curry does not come out easy!).

But thanks for the offer though! Hehehe.

Value and Quality

Hey Wade, I have to plug the program myself?

Capilano College has a one year called Digital Animation. For Canadians or permanent residents, it's around 7200 bucks (Canadian funds). For international students it's almost double that (taxes subsidize the domestic fees but not international). It's got a good reputation and we've had graduates place everywhere including Rockstar, EA, Relic and Mainframe. It's a really intensive program but you can see what we end up with by visiting http://www.gradshow.com/gallery.html If you're in town, the next grad show is April 23rd and that stuff should be online shortly thereafter.

The one problem you might have is that it's a post-diploma program meant for graduates of our two year, classical animation program. You'll also need to apply and get a portfolio to us by April 25th. Some people take our 8 week, summer program and then work on their skills for the next year's intake (one grad per year...we don't want to be a factory).

Curious

Hello everyone,

I was curious about something. Does anyone here know of any place where I can rent a computer with a current version of Flash MX? ...I was thinking of a place similair to an internet Cafe but where I could rent out time by the hour to use the Flash software. Do any schools or local colleges offer this service to private individuals? Thank you for your help.

I started a program in Calgary sometime ago by a college that use to be called "Applied Multimedia Training Center." I began the eleven month 'Multimedia Design & Communications' diploma program but quit after 4 months. I did however learn how to use Flash MX and have been seeking a way to get access to it (to create flash animations for sale) ever since.

Here is a simple Animation I created in School. Its crude, but I truely do know I am capable of creating much more elaborate masterpieces of creativity and asthetic beauty. :)

http://www.freewebs.com/spiritelemental/flash.htm

There is a small glitch with the audio when the repeat button is pushed. The audio track will play multible times simultaneously. Please give me any and all feedback on my animation if you can. Thank you!

Tanner

Well, that's really up to you...how much time you have, and if you have a little cash to spend on books. It also depends on whether you have the patience or not to teach yourself. Can you keep it up?

In my case, I taught myself. I turned myself into a book worm, and spent at least 50 to 60 hours a week locked behind closed doors teaching myself Maya. Originally, I took on learning Softimage XSI, but the learning manuals were so bloody retarded, that it discouraged me. The books on Maya however, were brilliantly written, and did what it needed to get me what I needed to know. Once I was comfortable with the basics, I took on more advanced books, then more advanced books, then signed up with Gnomon Online, and so on...

That was 5 months ago...And I'm happy to say that it ended up landing me a job in 3D Animation, where I'm working happily now. The irony of it all is, I was hired at a company that uses Softimage XSI, so I had to learn a second software. Now I do Maya Animation at home, and Softimage Animation at work.

Is it learnable? Of course...and my training only cost me about $300 total, for all the books, the graphics card, the membership with Gnomon, and $29 for the movie "Incredibles" which is now my new obsession.

So, if you're up for it, then by all means...here's a quick reference on some great Maya books...I would suggest learning Maya first, seeing is how it has better learning material, and it's much more intuitive...once you have your feet wet, and know your way around, then you can start tackling others if you wish.

- "Introducing Maya 6 - 3D For Beginners"...by Dariush Derakhshani. (That's the best book I own, and will take you from knowing completely nothing to a beginner-intermediate level)

- "Maya Character Creation - Modelling and Animation Controls" - by Chris Maraffi...(Also great book, a little more advanced, but it gives you great work methods and techniques for producing high-quality work...I suggest making that book 2)

- "Stop Staring - Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right" - By Jason Osipa...(Another very well written book, deals with the most complex modelling and animation element...the face...but it gives you those techniques that'll give you a definite edge, and give you the freedom to animate things freely, without having to deal with the restrictions of a 3D model).

There's more out there...and I've seen a few at the bookstore that I've yet to buy, that look great...

Good luck, and happy learning,

ADam

Hey there,

I went to VanArts in 99 and took the Classical Program. I do admit that I was a bit tentative about spending that much money on school, but I'm glad I did. The instructors there really know what they're talking about, and they all have experience in the industry. The difference between a diploma and a certificate is that you recieve the diploma after two years of study, while the certificate is only one year. To be honest, employers don't care if you have either, they only look for the skills. My adive would be to make sure you have an excellent grasp on traditional animation first, then do the 3D classes. Some people jump right into the 3D without knowing the techniques and principles of animation, and it shows. Good luck with your studies, and make sure to keep us posted. Feel free to Pm me if you have any other questions! Cheers:D

Cereal And Pajamas New Anthology : August 2007
http://www.comicspace.com/cerealandpajamas/

Why wasting your hard earned money

G to India for whatever Technical studies u wants.
Save your money and b the best always.
India has the best n cheapest Insitute for Animation or Multimedia.
Lasltly, All the glitters are not gold.

If I can ask, Adam, what is the job that you landed? Congrats, by the way.

G to India for whatever Technical studies u wants.
Save your money and b the best always.
India has the best n cheapest Insitute for Animation or Multimedia.
Lasltly, All the glitters are not gold.

Oh yeah. I would CERTAINLY want to go to INDIA, to a dumpy, stinky little apartment that has been converted into a "classroom" with 3 computers in it and bootlegged software, and get taught ANIMATION by ex-marble salesmen who have never animated anything in their entire lives. This is how MOST animation "training" facilities (and I use that term loosely) are in India.

Sorry for my pessimism, but India's level of quality in animation is extremely low, and their education standards for the art is even lower. There is a school on every street corner, run by some dude who sees animation as the next big money-maker in India, and they are trying everything to capitalize on it.

Anyways, Indian is not an easy answer to saving moeny.

Sounds a bit steep for a 1 year course. I'd do what Danimation said and bust your butt learning traditional animation on your own and then use the school as a means of learning how to transfer those skills on the computer. I'd check out animationmentor.com, though. They give you a degree as well and you're definitely going to be taught by the best.

thanks both the aboves very much for your advices!
Yes, I have to enhance my life drawing skills and the traditional animation fundametnals before I come to computer graphics.
However, I do need know, is it too expensive for such a tuition?
Anyone else advice?

Hey you went to vanarts in 99? I just graduated the classical program a few months ago. Did you end up taking 3d schooling later on? If not, have you found work? =-)
Also, Charles Phillips rocks.

And to reply to the original post, I think the teachers at vanarts in the classical program are fantastic, and that made it worth going. But the equipment is horrible and managment is just as bad

Hey Thomas, no probs on the info. I think as far as 3D goes, that's the going price. You may find another school a bit cheaper, but it's all pretty much the same. If you want to check out some other schools in Vancouver take a look at Capilano College and VFS. I knew a couple guys who went to Cap and they rock.
Boon, that's cool to hear you just graduated! I never ended up taking 3D cause it didn't interest me. However I kinda wish I had, cause I would have gotten a job quicker! My buddy and roommate at the time, Mike Trottier went on to the 3D and is working at Bioware. While I was at VanArts I had some freelance work, then after I worked at AKA for a bit. Now I work at Inlight, mainly doing Flash stuff. I still draw tons though, gotta keep that up! I miss Charles and Marcos. Those guys were the best! They really made my experience at that school. I must get over to Vancouver and visit! I don't remember the equipment being crappy, however all I ever need was a pencil and a light table! Cheers!

Cereal And Pajamas New Anthology : August 2007
http://www.comicspace.com/cerealandpajamas/

you can compare that price to two semesters at a traditional university... except it has more focus. So, if you were to get accepted into U of M and attend a fall and winter cource, then you would owe... hold on...
$13,792 for a semester
Registration Fee $80.00
Michigan Student Assembly $6.69
Student Legal Services $5.50
School & College Government $1.50
times by two... hold on...

one year total is!... 27771.38.
thats one year, without the degree, you need three more.

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

Worth $20,000? No. Normal for a school to charge that? Unfortunately, yes... Animation cannot be taught in a year, especially with the tools. Most good schools teach the 2D first, and then you learn the 3D in a graduate program.

I am fully against these schools charging what they do, and feel bad for the kids who come out of the schools knowing software pretty well, but they cannot make anything move properly. But do they have a choice? YES. Find a school that teaches the basics of ANIMATION first and THEN teaches the software. It will take more than a year though. Much more. Bank on 3 or 4.