Search form

Help! Plastic Animation Paper, Toon Boom Studio, Flipbook, or Flash?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help! Plastic Animation Paper, Toon Boom Studio, Flipbook, or Flash?

Help! I'm looking for software that will allow me to do the following;
1-import graphics from different programs/formats
2-save and export in different formats
3-burn to DVD
4-paint backgrounds/frames
5-add voice (lip sync) and soundtracks
6-upload to web
7-computer-assisted inbetweening

I've read about Plastic Animation Paper, Toon Boom, FlipBook, and Flash. I know no program is perfect, but the closer the better.

Please be specific with your replies---pros and cons of each one you compare.

Yo, Animation Ape! Check out grafikdon's movie clip in the Show and Tell section. The dude is a true master! He is using the mondo expensive Lightwave 8.0, and he's getting his money's worth.

Oh yeah, sorry Zabrisa. I forgot to mention, my demo reel tends to not want to play on Mac's :( I'm working on that problem over the next couple of months. So if you have access to a PC with a fast connection please check it out.

Yeah, I've seen grafikdon's animation. It's coming along nicely. I remember seeing it when he first posted it here months, even a year, ago, and he's come along way.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I recommend Moho. It's a vector based animation program and has everything you asked for including inbetweening plus more :D You can vectorize images and digitally ink/paint them plus you can use characters over and over again.
Oh ya, it's a 2D animation program BUT you rig the characters (literally add bones) as if they were in Maya or some other CG program.
It only costs $99 and you can download a free demo that has all the features.
Read more and see some clips ect. here:

http://www.lostmarble.com

Hope this helps :D

Spoooze!

Yo, Animation Ape! No dice---I'm using PCs both at school and at home.

Thanks for the info, Spooze. I'll check it out.

sorry i can't compare each but i can tell you my experience with toonboom. you can import froom other programs, but i am having trouble monipulating images once in toonboom - maybe i'll figure it out. you can save (export) in avi or flash. you can paint backgrounds & it has a utility to help with lip sync. uploading to web is just a file transfer, so that works. it doesn't burn directly to dvd; you'll need authoring software for that, but it usually comes with the dvd burner anyway. in betweening - sorry, i don't know, does it?

Thanks, Uncle Phil. Yeah, I've heard so much about Toon Boom, but if it lacks computer-assisted inbetweening (obviously a real time saver), then I'm not interested. I've been impressed with Flipbook's demos at digicel'sweb site. You can download free demos of Plastic Animation Paper, but it is strictly for animation and I understand it is sprite-based. I understand that Flash gives you interactivity---a big plus---but it has a higher learning curve than others.

So how about it, folks? Please post your experience with these and other programs and help me make up my mind.

Help! Help! Help!

I use Flipbook

Hello.

I use Flipbook because of the quality and the easy interface.

I don't know of any software that inbetweens. Animo did when it first came out in the late 80's- early 90's- but that function was very cumbersome it was eliminated years ago.

Flash doesn't really inbetween- no arcs, no good movement, no good animation.

You could always hire someone or get an intern to inbetween,

For 2D inbetweening is a way of life.

Thanks.

There's no animation software that will burn to DVD. You need DVD authoring software to do that.

Painting backgrounds and frames are really two different animals. Cel painting software isn't really set up to create the subtlety usually present in backgrounds.

An experienced user can use Flash's tweening tools to get good inbetweens, depending on the kind of work you're doing. It's much easier with effects than with characters, and with characters it depends largely on how they're set up and what you want the final work to look like. It does take some experience with the tool though.

Maybe it'd be easier to help if you talked a bit about what you're trying to do. A short film? A web-based project with interactivity? Something else?

Thanks to all that have replied. Seems like Flash is the front runner---creating inbetweening by hand using other programs will add hours of work. Yo, DSB, I'm interested in making short movies (5 to 10 minutes in duration for now, longer once I become comfortable with the program) to burn to DVD and upload to the web. Can you expand on Flash and character inbetweening? Seems like you've tried it successfully. What are the challenges? What are the limitations? Better yet, have you posted your work on the web for animation fans to see?

Once again, all replies are welcomed.

Flash tweens symbols in a way that work very well if done right. It really does save buttloads of time, but it's easy (too easy) to cheat in Flash by overusing tweens and holds. If you can fight past that, it's probably the best program for doing digital "limited" animation.

Thanks for the info, beeblebrox! Looks like Flash is the answer I've been looking for! That is, unless someone else in here nominates another program.

Thanks again to all of yous for your input.

Hi Zabrisa and welcome to the Forums.

I'm going to go with Flash as well. Well, because that's what I know. Like everyone else said befor, it can do everything you want to do except burn to DVDs. It can both do a motion tween and a shape tween.

Motion tweens are linear tweens of a symbol, say a shape of a hand. If you want it to go up, you set it's start keyframe, and it's end key frame and tween between the two and there you have it. You can also adjust the the spacing of the tween by adding an ease-in or an ease-out. So far you can't do both on the same tween. That's a feature I've asked Macromedia to add, but we'll see.

Shape tweens are more of a morphing type of tween. Say you want a square to tween into a rectangle. You once again set the start keyframe with the square, set the end keyframe with the rectangle, and hit shape tween, and pray it works. Shape tweens kinda hit or miss, so you have to play around with it.

Flash has it's draw backs of course just like anything. But you play to it's strengths and find work arounds to it's drawbacks. It's not the medium that makes bad animation, it's the artists at the helm. Good luck in what ever program you choose to work with, and if you run into problems, there are lots of people here that are willing to help.

I'd recomend checking out my demo reel on my website, www.animatedape.com, and Pascal's animation on the "Show and Tell" forums for two wildly different takes on how you can animate with Flash.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks, Animated Ape, for the info! Too bad you don't have a download link to your quicktime movie---my school's computer obviously doesn't have the necessary quicktime app, since I'm sent to Apple's web site asking if I want to buy it and I'm stuck with dial up at home. I'll check the other dude's work you mentioned.