Search form

The rebirth of 2D animation

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
The rebirth of 2D animation

Hello.

This term at school, I noticed a many students shunning 3D animation for the 2D route.

That, and I am learning Maya and it just doesn't seem intuitive like 2D does.

That...and I heard, James Baxter (Shrek 2) has left 3D to start up a 2D studio.

Working on my film, I get great satisfaction putting pencil to paper...it's like being an artist.

I will say- I do (when I am professoring) find a direct connection to 3D animation ability and drawing - obviously, the same is true for 2D.

Weak artists make for weak animators.

Thanks.

Larry L.'s picture
Larry web site http://tooninst[URL=http://tooninstitute.awn.com]itute.awn.com [/URL]blog: [U]http://www.awm.com/blogs/always-animated [/U] email: larry.lauria@gmail.com

Hi Wade, I picked on Maya (somewhat unfairly) because as an instructor I encounter students every year who struggle with the software, thinking they are somehow insufficient to learn it. Maya really pushes the image that it is a full service "off-the-shelf" solution (likewise unfair). Can anyone model in Maya "off-the-shelf"? Of course some can - and very well - but most have a slew of mel-scripts and plug-ins that they need to do what other software packages offer in a (for newcomers) more intuitive interface.

So much for that - my main comment is that I am convinced that the 2D and 3D approaches will merge, partly due to technological / interface advances.

I imagine a not-too-distant future wherein the 2D vs 3D discussion won't be a camp (like the software wars of a couple of years ago) but a shot by shot or pipeline discussion - and the technologies will be able to be married in one pipeline.

I've got a lot less formal training than some of the folks around here, and 2D was where my interest started, but I've found what little practice and experience in 2D invaluable in my new interests in 3D.

Timing, weight reactions, velocity, etc. are all helped by working in 2D first.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

I've always felt that 3D animation was more akin to Stop Motion or puppetry animation than traditional animation. And while I respect the medium and have enjoyed most of the 3d films that have been released so far, I think it is lacking something that the traditional medium has.

There's just some kind of magic light that goes off in a person's head when they watch a drawing come to life. You see it when kids watch cartoons, humans are more guarded with their emotions but it's there. Children will dig most any cartoon, but one that's hand drawn and they look like they're hooked, totally.

I myself learned the 3d route as well, thinking i'm going to need it to survive, but to me, it's just not as fulfilling as putting that pencil down and expressing myself through motion. There's was just something so... inhuman about clicking that mouse and such. Even drawing with a tablet and using flash or toonboom doesn't give me that same connection. Animating and drafting can be such a personally intimate process, and for me, it's just not like that with the computer. Now i'm not dissing computers, noway. That's an amazing tool that I think could be utilized by 2d animators to some serious ends. The ability to remove a huge task like ink and paint is amazing.

I just love Traditional more. It's a medium that speaks to me.

I completley agree. Something is just so magical when your characters come to life on a 2D medium rather then constantly pressing play in maya. Plus I feel you work harder and of course you are forced to draw out every frame needed to show your work.

And as Larry says I have to completley agree with what he says weak artist makes weak animators. I have met too many people who pass of traditional skills as something they no longer need as a result of the computer. Without drawing how do you plan out your scenes? how do you thumbnail every pose? You cant fully understand weight, gesture, and form in my opinion without the required skills on paper itself.

The advent of computers within our medium has been a great asset however, this "greatness" usually yeilds from individuals or studios that continue onwards with a strong foundation.

If I have to read one more thread on the various forums that say "Is drawing important for computer animators?" I will just have to drop all that I love and become a farmer. :)

Ah yes, yet another "2D vs 3D" thread. This is like discussing politics and religion - at the end of the day, there's been a lot of talk, but nobody's mind has been changed.

I don't understand why animators feel the need to have this conversation over and over. If you prefer one over the other, fine - so do that one. No one's forcing anyone to animate using any tool other than the one they choose.

Larry, of course you'd find 2D more intuitive than 3D - you've been doing 2D a lot longer. And coming into it with the opinion you do, I imagine it'll stay that way a loooong time.

I've done (and continue to do) both, which I guess makes me a heretic in both camps...

My first experience with 3D software has come in the past couple months thanks to the local college; There are so many nonintuitive steps in the process of 3D, and honestly so many -reliances- on 2D planning and principle knowledge...that it reminds of debate class. One of the best things you could do to dismantle someone is something akin to

Should we keep the electoral college? And the one team's position would be "Yes, but let's do proportional distribution of electoral votes."

Anyhow, the way to dismantle that argument (in the teacher's eyes, I have no intention of turning this into another discussion, it just makes for a good example), is simply to point out that for all the changes and energy that would have to be put into it, a strong enough argument can't be made that there's enough reason to make the leap.

I feel that way about 3D now. Most people lack common sense, so we're in a position now where it's the majority of what's taught at the schools and the majority of the higher-level job spots (as opposed to it being that way for the artistic merits of 3D)... However, it can never really be independent. To me 3D is a visual transformation of 2D. A conversion and nothing more.

I would much rather whip out a bunch of error-ridden inspired poses and ridiculous faces and have people go along with the ride and wrap themselves the concept that I've moved their minds by moving a line...than to memorize the individual breakdowns of 75 different nuts and bolts and screws that slightly skew the lips for the face I'm going for, but not quite. Oh, and don't forget to create a key for -- no, well not for the parent object, just go down to the - yah, the arm -- well yes it has children too, so it's a parent, but it's not the main parent...they have their own motion paths!

I just imagine that it is its own great thing, and you can't say 2D or 3D, one or the other, make a choice....They truly are separate mediums....but what you can say is the same people that are passionate about one can safely be exclusively passionate about the other.

Well with politics and religion, there is usually some extremist opinion. Is anyone vehemently AGAINST one of the two media as an animation format? All the criticism I've heard are apathetic at best, maybe some mild criticism... The only real PASSION is FOR something...

I am learning Maya and it just doesn't seem intuitive like 2D does.

Hah! I use 3D for years and Maya is the least intuitive package out there! Its a programming platform and only starts to makes sense (and then it makes quite a bit of sense) when you have larger numbers of team members, some few of which can adapt the interface for the animators to be able to work efficiently. Check out Hash Aniamtion Master or XSI or messiah:animate for much more intuitive software intefaces...

That said, I'm convinced (and tell my students repeatedly) that 2D will come back with a vengeance. I expect that a wave of innovation is around the corner, and software enabling tweens and clean-up will appear, in addition to the already competent coloring systems out there. The flood of godd and (overwhelmingly) bad 3D films on the horizon will take the polish off 3D while 2D learns to integrate 3D, integrating its advantages....

my 2 cents...

That sounds like good news to me. I myself have been looking joining the field of animation for a long time.

In time, even Disney is going to have to wake up and smell the Java. If 2-D was really becoming antique, then why did Lilo & Stitch earn $147 mil in its domestic intake? Why did Brother Bear earn $156 mil in its overseas intake?

This is one of those things where the businesses are TELLING us what to like rather than giving us WHAT we like.

I'll be the first to say that I wish I didn't have to model, UV map, texture, rig, and weight (didn't I forget anything) a character before I can animate it. The one thing I do miss about production is being handed a model and animating with it but that's just the natural of the beast. 3D is truely a left and right brain, can't be in no hurry, you are in for the long haul kind of thing.

But like someone mentioned earlier in the thread; 2D and 3D are what they are, you love it or hate it, take it or leave it. I just saw Robots and can anyone really say that it would have looked better in 2D? Or that Lilo and Stitch would have in 3D? There aren't many movies that are 2D that I would like to see 3D or visa vera.

The question is can the public go from seeing the visual impact and beauty that Robots can give you and be satified with 2D no matter how good the story might be? Is the public now spoiled on 3D? Is there no turning back?

Personally I hope not but I think it's going to be later that sooner.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

That depends. My mind tells me yes, but I saw a review once that compared Final Fantasy: Spirits Within to Iron Giant, and said that the =latter= suffered from a lack of visual impact. If there are more geniuses like that out there =) than say people that think like most of us here, well, we're all screwed. But I see more pockets of people everyday that are smarter than Hollywood gives them credit for.

Whispers isn't even in production yet, but its a storyteller's movie and the whole concept and scripting is impressive. There's a strong chance it might never get picked up. But you know movies =have= been ? Mr. Saturday Night, The Pickle, and all of Kate Hudson's career...

It seems when it comes to the film industry, we have the minds to create, and the minds to appreciate, but neither of those minds are often in positions of power and control.

That...and I heard, James Baxter (Shrek 2) has left 3D to start up a 2D studio.

A 2D studio..for him to teach 2D or produce features?

I couldve sworn he's under contract with Dreamworks...where did you hear this from? Just curious.

once and for all

i desperately wish that the rebirth of animation were already here so traditional animators can all say "HAH TOLD YOU SO" and leave the passionately creative 3D people alone to their tinkering while the hybrid 2D|3D animators can have two jobs.

Don't worry.  All shall be well.

i desperately wish that the rebirth of animation were already here so traditional animators can all say "HAH TOLD YOU SO" and leave the passionately creative 3D people alone to their tinkering while the hybrid 2D|3D animators can have two jobs.

I think the rebirth of animation is already here and it's 3D. Ever since the ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast it seems it was a run away frieght train picking up speed. Little by litte more 3D elements were thrown in until you had Toy Story and the rest is history.

It's like the music biz, you might really like the texture and the feel of a record albums but if you want to listen to music today you have to go digital.

It's kind of a twisted analogy but it works.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

It's still and, not or.

I think a good story with heart and any technique will eventually win over formula fare. But I think comparing 3d to 2d is like comparing oil paint to watercolor, they are both fine, but they both have limitations. Neither one can pretend to be the other without losing some of it's integrity.

Just my opinion.

Pat

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

A 2D studio..for him to teach 2D or produce features?

I couldve sworn he's under contract with Dreamworks...where did you hear this from? Just curious.

Not that I like promoting this site, but this is where I read about James Baxter.
http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009914

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

cool

thankx for the info , AA ;)

No Either OR Situation

Hello.

Personally, I don't think it's an "either or situation".

Stories are what drive good films.

Whether a film is 2D or 3D is of no consequence- again, the stories (with strong characters) are what folks want.

PEOPLE WANT CARTOONS...THEY LOVE CARTOONS!

Now some folks may take this to mean 2D- well, I don't mean 2D. We are in the business and others here are around the business...so we are acutely aware of the techniques and advances and hardware and software.

But, MOST of the public is not aware.

Several "normal" folks I know (by NORMAL I mean the theater going public), have referred to FINDING NEMO and THE INCREDIBLES as....ready for this...

..."CARTOONS"...

They could care less whether the cartoons are 2D or 3D. They didn't know...and they are probably in a better place then most of us who are in the industry who quibble over 2D and 3D.

Well, everyone can relax, neither one is going away. You don't have to sell your car, your home or your kids. 2D and 3D and possible 4D will ALWAYS be there. Now 5D- that will completely blow the rest out of the water!

Anyhow earlier in the thread I just mentioned how much more intuitive 2D seems to be....for me. Absolutely, my opinion...and now, I agree with me.

I am going to go draw....:D

Thanks.

That's how these things go. Larry voices an opinion, the whole thread blows up in response =) It's the theme of the past month or so. Won't you join the fun?

Not to be coy, but in our field both 2D and 3D -are- 4D. We are interdimensional travelers, creating the future nobody knows is going to happen till it becomes the present.

Personally, I think it only becomes a debate when it relates to career opprotunities or the job market. I think what us 2D guys are sore over is that our job opprotunites are all drying up. 3D is definitely here to stay, and it (can be) a remarkable animation medium. I find it more related to stop motion animation than traditionally drawn animation. That's not to say one is BETTER than the other, though we all have our preferences.

I don't think that 2D is extinct, nor do I believe it will be on the back burner for too much longer. But to quote Deep Throat in All the Kings Men: "Follow the money." In this industry money drives the studio decisions and right now the money is on 3D. You have faster turn over, in many cases 3d artists didn't have to work at Union rates until recently. You have a smaller staff, and the fad factor attracts a larger audience (so far).

The cost of producing 3d animated features, and the staffing of such a project is growing astronomically. The R&D funds alone are astounding and frankly the job market is getting over saturated. Every stoner out of high school with access to a computer thinks he can be a 3d Animator and that makes actual jobs more scarce. As technology makes these films more expensive they will become less fiscally viable, especially in the light of studio competitiveness. Once the bottom drops out of the 3D industry and a few BAD movies hit, the newness will be gone and you'll be left with just an animated movie, regardless of it's being 3d or 2d. As audiences become more accustomed to viewing 3d the fad factor will drop off.

As technology gets better it will actually alleviate labor issues related to 2d animated films and that model of storytelling will become once more, fiscally viable and will inevitably look better than before. There will be integration of 3d like we've seen trending toward the end of the Disney days with Brother Bear and Lilo and Stitch. Some day 2d will make a sweet comeback and people will be happy. then we'll see threads complaining about 3d being too expensive and why should studios be choosing 2d over 3d again.

If you doubt it, look at all the High Production 2d Flash cartoons on CN and Nick, that's the future and it's more 2D than ever before. Flat flat flat, the contrast to 3D gives it a lot of appeal already.

I tend to think 2d, I started out with my creatvie side being a painter. At that time there was no actual 3d modelling. Although I had to learn that it, it wasn't one of my favorite things to do. Too many things depended on too many other things, but in 2d, you could bend the rules. 2d is more intuitive for me. Maybe this is off topic.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Hah! I use 3D for years and Maya is the least intuitive package out there! ...

I think it unfair to blame one piece of software for the limitations of 3D. I use 3D Max, XSI, AND Maya, and no one package can "save the 3D world" and be less intuitive. There are restrictions; restrictions that remain constant amongst ALL software packages...

You cannot get the same squash/stretch/exaggeration capabilities like you can in 2D. This is a fact. Admittedly, it is getting better... The Incredibles proved that. However, it is still VERY limited in this regard, and there is only on Pixar.

Also, I agree with Ed about the Modelling, Rigging, Skinning, Weighting.... arguement. That is a HUGE pain in the arse... 2D enables you to just sit down and animate, no strings attached. HOWEVER, the feedback loop is a LOT slower with 2D. You have to sit down, and shoot each drawing, and put together a line-test, whereas with 3D, you can simply move your time slider and see what you have done immediately.

I think it is a futile arguement "2D vs. 3D", and that is why I do not argue either side any more. They both have their advantages and their drawbacks. As long as we use each medium for what it is best suited for, we should all be able to live happily together. The best thing we as animators can do is to learn 'em both, as I have, and do whatever needs doing.

I have not read through ALL this threa dyet, and I may have something to add later. Sorry if this is really late in regards to the first post that I quoted.

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Also, I agree with Ed about the Modelling, Rigging, Skinning, Weighting.... arguement. That is a HUGE pain in the arse... 2D enables you to just sit down and animate, no strings attached. HOWEVER, the feedback loop is a LOT slower with 2D. You have to sit down, and shoot each drawing, and put together a line-test, whereas with 3D, you can simply move your time slider and see what you have done immediately.

But with software like ToonBoom and May be Flash (one day) its getting lot easier to animate movies without much of the labor work we all have been used to do. Personally I see a bright 2D future ahead.

I tend to think 2d, I started out with my creatvie side being a painter. At that time there was no actual 3d modelling. Although I had to learn that it, it wasn't one of my favorite things to do. Too many things depended on too many other things, but in 2d, you could bend the rules. 2d is more intuitive for me. Maybe this is off topic.

Hey Phacker man! how you doing? Did you ever find your pet back? I remember good old days when there were a heated debate over the same topic and you were talking only about 2d at that moment. Its nice to know that you are learning 3d as well. Hope new commers will be getting loads of good advice from you.

I went to school and really focused on 3D (it worked, I'm earning a living with it now). Funny enough I did a 2D animation while I was there that's been doing better than my 3D in festivals (unrelated to 3d vs 2d, more that the writing was wittier).

I spend all day doing stuff in 3D, so when I go home usually the last thing I want to do is more 3D. I've been doing 2D in my spare time as a result (I just gottsta be doing something creative). There's a lot less overhead (ie. more immediate) for getting ideas out there with 2D (at least for me anyway).

"By day he's a mild mannered 3D Layout Artist, by night a wacky 2D animator...."

No real point to this post, just don't feel like starting work yet (it's Friday after all).

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

just something from someone who knows a thing or two bout the business of film
8 January 2003 (StudioBriefing)
Jeffrey Katzenberg, who is often credited with reviving traditional animation when, as chairman of Walt Disney Studios, he oversaw such features as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King, has come to the defense of the technique following the dismal failure of Disney's recent Treasure Planet. While some writers have forecast that the hand-drawn art will be replaced by what is thought to be far less expensive computer-generated animation, Katzenberg, now a partner in DreamWorks, told today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Times: "There's been a rush to judgment that some movies failed because of their technique." Referring to DreamWorks' first animated feature, Katzenberg remarked: "I don't believe that The Road to El Dorado didn't succeed because of its technique, any more than Titan A. E.[whose failure shuttered 20th Century Fox's animation unit] or Treasure Planet failed because of their techniques. To blame our animators for El Dorado not working would be nonsense. The idea and the way in which we told the story simply were not compelling enough, and I think the other movies share those shortcomings. It hurts to have to accept that responsibility, but that is the reality."

That might have been somewhat reasuring, had he not had these comments just a few months later(after Sinbad opened)

from animated news:
"Jeffrey Katzenberg concedes that the art form on which he made his reputation may be obsolete. "I think the idea of a traditional story being told using traditional animation is likely a thing of the past," he admitted."

I was just going to say, didn't he have a hand in shutting down the 2nd biggest 2d studio after Disney?

I'm not sure why everyone gets so worked up about this. 3D is having a good time because it's new and fresh. It gets press because people like Katie Couric can be excited about something she knows nothing about. It looks like magic to most people. That's wearing off and it isn't a guaranteed hit anymore. And if you really look back on the recent history, it never was guaranteed. Final Fantasy, Antz, Jimmy Neutron (The Movie), A Shark's Tale, and Robots, all were modest at best successes at the box office.

And on the other side of it, 2D still rules the television. The phenominal success of shows like Sponge Bob, Foster's, Clone Wars, Pokemon (and all of its many clones), Mucha Lucha, and Fairly Odd Parents. For every successful 3D project there's a dozen successful 2D projects.

3D gets a lot of free press for being a technical marvel. It's something that the studios can ooo and aaaah about to drum up press. But what it really comes down to is making a good MOVIE, not animation, not cartoon, but a good movie. Is the writing, cinematography, editing, acting, sound all in place? I very rarely hear these elements mentioned by animators. Most are too concerned with whether or not there's follow through and secondary animation. That's all well and good while perfecting one's craft, but Pixar is succesful because they make good movies that happen to be animated, not because they're 3D.

If Disney had been making new fresh movies instead of re-hashing an old played out forumula then they'd probably still be making 2D movies. Blaming the medium was a convenient way of keeping the higher ups from loosing their jobs for green lighting garbage for scripts.

The real question is will the animation world be able to stop focusing on what medium was used, and start focusing on telling a good story and select the medium that will best tell that story?

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

The real question is will the animation world be able to stop focusing on what medium was used, and start focusing on telling a good story and select the medium that will best tell that story?

hell no :D ,not unless several new animation companies arrive with good leaders.Some people don't realise that the actual animators don't have a say,they just do their job,its the executives at the top of the building who are coming with all the stories.

So i'm hoping allota new studios will arrive sooner or later with new fresh ideas,and maybe actually listen to the public.

you know. JK might have meant its time to go a bit economical overall. regardless if you see a few bombs from 3d studios sometime itll be the end of 3d as well then?

...at the around the same time as Katzenberg announced that he was closing their traditional 2d animation department, he announced that Dreamworks was ramping up production on 3d movies, aiming for 3 releases a year(!) . Draw your own conclusions there.

Some say Disney started to go downhill with their classically animated movies when they started churning out one a year. Why should DreamWorks fare any better trying to churn out three CG movies a year - it's been agreed on countless times before that the medium doesn't determine the outcome's quality.

There is the perception that 3d has a commercial edge at the moment. I don't think Dreamworks 3d films were significantly better than their 2d films, but they outperformed them ...by far. Some would say it was more the choice of material and subject matter that explain the success of the 3d films, but it's a lot harder to make that case, and much easier to just blame 2d.

Dreamworks seem to think that they can increase their 3d output with shorter production schedules than was possible with 2d animation. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I see the only outcome of this as crowding the market and creating a surplus of talent that will have a tough time finding jobs if the CG bubble bursts. When Shrek and Finding Nemo made so much money, there was an inevitable gold-rush that led to 'Valiant' and more to follow, much the same as the gold-rush that came after the Lion King and Aladdin, that may have ultimately led to the public losing interest in traditional animation. I think Dreamworks sees this coming, and wants to crowd out the competition, so that even if it loses money on some projects, it can discourage others and have more control of the market.

True. And three movies a year is a LOT. Either they significantly enlarge their own staff or start outsourcing work to India, China or who-knows-where. That being the most cost-efficient way, I see them lose quite a bit of creative control and overall artistic quality.

While I usually find 2D animation more appealing, I think audiences are looking for believable fantasy movies; and it's easier for an audience to suspend disbelief before a 3D movie, since 3D mimics reality more easily than 2D illustrations. (For a similar reason, we may begin to see stop motion features out-perform 2D features, with movies like The Corpse Bride, Wallace and Gromit, and The Fantastic Mister Fox.)

2D just might have to work a little harder, and abandon the 70-year-old Disney formula for something more daring.

Do you think in about 10 years they'll declare 3D dead and move on to holographic film making (or some other technology)?

What I hope has really happened is Disney has stepped out of the way making room for smaller more agile companies and indy animators, allowing them to animate new and different ways without being compared to Disney. Hopefully, we'll be seeing some new and innovative ways of using 2D.

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

KEWL, Bring back the classic. I think 2D it's the most artistic style.

i really wish both 2d and 3d where on the same level and weren't always competing,its all animation in the end.