Search form

Mid-career switch to animation

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mid-career switch to animation

Like a lot of people in this forum, IÕm looking to get into the animation profession.

Unlike a lot of people who ask this question, IÕm a seasoned creative professional making a mid-career change. IÕve been a Graphic Designer/Design Director at national entertainment companies. IÕm applying to several grad schools for an animation MFA starting this fall.

IÕd love to get some feedback about making this move, particularly re-adjusting my web portfolio for a switch to the animation industry.

Three questions stand out:

1. Including Works In Progress
IÕm reluctant to include unfinished animation experiments and WIPs on my site. For me, too much personal or unfinished work in a portfolio usually means you donÕt have a lot of experience dealing with clients Ð or wonÕt listen to them.

But WIPs seem to be a standard part of online animation portfolios, even for established pros. I feel weird including walk cycles in a portfolio, even though I may have to include them, given my lack of animation experience. I see that WIPs didnÕt hurt rustboy.com. But I just canÕt shake that funny feeling. Thoughts appreciated.

2. Should I include my music?
I also produce music, not as successfully as my design, but IÕve had my music published nationally Ð so IÕm no hobbyist. Unfortunately, itÕs a professional blessing and a curse. I like to think my musicality adds a dimension to my overall creativity and will help my approach to animation.

Unfortunately, other people see it as Òjack of all trades, master of none.Ó Or Òthis wonÕt fit into my production pipeline.Ó Sometimes, people just donÕt understand that I can do both and get confused. Who knows, maybe itÕs just too much to review in one portfolio.

IÕm wondering if my music should be kept as a separate website. I could always send people interested in both my music and visuals to a separate music site. It just feels like IÕm keeping some of my talents in a closet. But maybe things are different in the animation world.

3. Freelancing my way into the animation industry.
I see a lot of graphic design needed in the animation world (background props like posters, title sequences, icons, logos, game interfaces, etc.) IÕm wondering what the best way to get these types of freelance jobs would be Ð or do most studios handle them internally?

IÕm guessing a lot of independent shorts need help, and thatÕd be a good way to get started. I just moved to LA, so that probably helps, too. I imagine animators also need music, although that gets back to issue #2.

I hope this post isnÕt too long. Thoughts appreciated.

For animation, you'll need to focus.

What PARTof the animation field are you interested in?
Animating per se?
Storyboard?
Layout?
Design?
CGI?
They all have some common standards, but need different demonstrations of ability.
Music isn't a relevant entry in the portfolio if the end-work is going to be drawing, or doing CGI work. Music is a footnote in such a case.
if you are going for animation, then show just that. Animating either charcaters, with genuine emotions and clear concise movements that speak of personality, or of effects that demostrate a understanding of how physics can play with substances. This is what studios look for.
For Storyboards, understanding of story, cinema, staging, entertainment and drawing are essential.
For the remainder, clear concise drawing ability and appeal are needed.
If your prfessional work hasnt skirted into the realm of the kinds of work the studios are doing then generate up your own material based on established properties. Your professional graphic arts background counts for the working discipine, you hand-skills will count the most.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

I've also crossed over into the animation industry, in my case from advertising. I was creative director and decided to 'phase' over - I first went for illustration, relying on my contacts to get me started. I began offering extra services - animated gifs and web content, while keeping my eyes out for animation projects and applying to everything that brought me closer to that goal.

In the meantime, I've decided to leave animation to the pros - and am concentrating on concept development (story & design) as well as pre-production and creative management. This was in part because of my respect for the time it would take to become a professional aniamtor (skill-wise). I noted that I don't have that persistence to tweak a sequence for the 20th time and that I'm much happier working out timing and scribbling through animatics...
Also, most projects in my vicinity were so terribly mis-managed that I just followed the demand for management capabilites and got drawn into that. Pays a bit better and I'm happy knowing that I at least pave the road for the animators to do their job. In the end, we're all in the same animattion boat.

As for your web-site, I recommend you keep them seperate. While many (like myself) find it comlimentary and therefore positive to have other skills (music being very helpful for animation) others are tighter in view and feel you are - as you say - "master of none". You can't know who you will be contacting so cross-reference but keep seperate. My 2 cents...

Concerning w.i.p's: you have to show work, just show the best that you have. If you only have one clip that really sits, only show that one. But you have to have at least one...

All the best! (And post a link when you have it)

Thanks for the replies. My initial post was probably too broad. I know that I'll eventually need to focus on a specialty. I'll plan to explore that in grad school, which will be my way to 'phase' over.

Storyboard & layout work seem like the best fit for my existing skills. As a graphic designer, I love creating an overall look and feel to my projects. I also see how music can contribute to that overall feeling. I'm interested in animation as a way to create rich imaginary environments.

I suppose responsibility for the overall feel of the environment rests with the director, and I realize working my way towards directing animation is years away (even after grad school). But I should aim high!

As far as animation goes, I have the patience to fine-tune something 20 times, but not the passion. But I think it's important to know animation reasonably well, even if it's not my specialty.

Good to hear that management skills are needed, too. As a former Design Director, I've had experience supervising illustrators, setting up and managing production plans, and making sure everything fits the right creative direction. But I don't think its realistic to start in a new field as a supervisor.

I'd love to hear stories from anybody else who's switched over.