Search form

Cartoon Makeovers for Dove

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cartoon Makeovers for Dove

Has anyone seen the hilarious new campaign for Dove Styling. It features Jane Jetson, Velma Dinkley from Scooby-Doo, Wilma Flintstone and newly added Marge Simpson. They have them talking about how their hair never moves and is 'stuck in the stone age' as Wilma puts it. Their posters are like everywhere now, showing before and after pics. This was a really good idea plus they were drastically needing a new hair style 4 the 21st century.:D who ever does marge's hair should b shot

Saider E.'s picture
What would scooby do?
Attachment 

What would scooby do?

My thoughts exactly

Those commercials feel really awkward to me because I'm not use to them moving like that. They should have animated them in their original style... imo

You guys took the words out of my mouf. I just saw the commercial over the weekend and i nticed how choppy they looked when they moved. The animators definitely weren't dedicated enough. Looks like one of those instances where inexperienced inbetweeners r left with all the work.

I can't believe Ogilvy and Mathers, the biggest ad agency in the world, let this go.

they don't really care about the animation, all advertisers care about is that they have the characters promoting their product and that it's a good idea.

What would scooby do?

they don't really care about the animation, all advertisers care about is that they have the characters promoting their product and that it's a good idea.

I'm sure they care..or like many indivduals believe that they do. But like many individuals can't tell the difference between good and bad animation. In fairness, commercials in general have always had the best animation on TV so maybe it boils down to the individual studio and/or the indiviual product reps on this campaign.
I'm sure somwhere the fingers are pointing like crazy if there is negative consumer feedback on this commercial.

Those commercials feel really awkward to me because I'm not use to them moving like that. They should have animated them in their original style... imo

I'm going to have to agree with motionmilitia. I think it's a funny concept, but bad execution.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

They're not awkward because they're fully animated. They're awkward becasue they're badly animated. They can certainly be animated fully as in the Jetsons movie or A Man Called Flintstone or a Fruity Pebbles ad.
Two things: Either the animator(s) behind these commercials were inexperienced OR really didn't have a reverence for the original cartoons belieiving as many people lumping limited animation into the "badly animated" category and thus animated badly on purpose.
I tend to believe the former.

They're F****** terrible.
It's selling a hair product and the hair is badly drawn. It's supposed to be before and after and the after looks worse. ( I guess it proves Ed Benedict, DIck Bickenbach and Iwao Takamoto are better stylists than Dove :) )
Looks like it was drawn directly in flash as if that was some kind of benefit.
I can't believe Ogilvy and Mathers, the biggest ad agency in the world, let this go.

This is the worst interpretation of the HB characters since a Canadian Pebbles commercial I saw over 20 years ago. If I didn't have an obvious affection for the characters and never seen a Jetson a Scooby* or Flintstone, It would still be the worse animated commercial I'd ever seen.

*Not a Scooby fan but always admired the design

Ya, I agree totally.
I thought the concept was excellent because many people like the classics. But I was upset with the animation. I'm so used to watching the originals that I was shocked to see how horrible they looked when someone tried to attempt the modern look.