Search form

Instructors--Successes in Class???

1 post / 0 new
Instructors--Successes in Class???

Okay, the other thread delved in a negative theme, this one counterpoints with a positive one.

For every one of the slackers, posers and students that just don't make it, there's usually a number that do.......and some times spectacularly.

As I'm fond of saying, these are the ones I don't need to "worry about anymore".

As frustrating as it is to watch students struggle, give up or just wither away, its immensely gratifying to watch students blossom from mediocre skills and develop professional ability.

I've seen a few, but the ones that stick out are the students that come into a program, have so-so art ability than really push themselves so that at the end of their program, the work they show is far more accomplished than what they arrived with. I've often said that graduating a program is NOT the final test............getting work in the field is the true graduation.

Those that excell, that go on to work in the industry, I'm always proud to call my peers and colleagues. My outlook on this is always that its not to MY credit that they've succceeded, but that THEY had the wherewithall to listen, learn and apply what was taught to them and strive for success. The ones that do the work, get the glory...........I just get to watch it all happen.
There's a great sense of purpose in teaching, which makes it the penultimate service job, I guess. Speaking for myself, it added a very special layer to my own career, and I've not regretted a day I've taught.

Ken Davis's picture

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)