Search form

Filmax Animation BE WARNED

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Filmax Animation BE WARNED

FREELANCE artists are ALWAYS at RISK!

DON'T BE RIPPED OFF!

........especially if you are working 'long-distance' as a subcontractor.

Filmax Animation is one of the great new studios leading Europes resurgence in quality Feature Animation, but they have a funny way of showing their gratitute to those of us who help put their grand visions on the big screen.

Here is a cautionary tale that is a MUST READ for all who are attracted by Filmax's work and hope to apply for a job there someday.

NOTE:
This thread is posted only in the spirit of helping artists to protect themselves and NOT as a slur against Filmax Animation. If my present situation with this studio is fully resolved and my artists are paid what is owed them then I will duly post an anouncement of this here.

Full story here:
http://www.geocities.com/filmaxwarning/main.html

:mad:

Contract-givers do seem to deal along those lines, as an unfair categorization ;-) "The artist's work up-front and of highest quality, the payment, well, we'll let it collect interest for a few months until the 3rd reminder rolls in."

It does hurt particularly when you have your own artists to pay and don't want to pass the (non-existent) buck.

Whatever the specifics here, I wish you a speedy resolution to this!

I hope this is resolved quickly to your satisfaction.

I have to add that I have experienced VAT issues and accounting revisions that have in some cases taken up to 3 months to sort out. I have no experience with Filmax, but are you sure you aren't just suffering an unfortunate combination of bad communication and payment delay?
It seems a bit hasty to announce this publicly assuming I read correctly that your missed payment was a the beginning of the month.

Not hasty at all........

Dear Dobermunk,

Thanks for commenting.

It is far more than "Late payment & Communication problems". Surely you have read the 'Details' in my story? I have been in this business for 24 years and I know when I'm being 'diddled'.

The VAT thing is just another distraction and I clearly mentioned that the existing contract was 'accepted' many months ago and a payment had already been made under this contract. I think the main point of this story is the wider finacial problems that studios cover-up and WE Artists end up paying for. The excerpt, in my letter, about the 'phone call' should demonstrate this sufficiently but if I seem like I'm jumping to conclusions then read some comments on another forum about the NOCTURNA project here:

http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008897

I only came across this page today and these comments were posted long before I began working for Filmax Animation. I only wish I had read them before! Some rumors and opinions there make my letter seem very diplomatic in comparison.

EG: [I]"Last I heard that movie is kaput.
The producers took the money and basically ran with it. And so all we
have is a beautiful trailer and the thoughts of what could have been."[/I]

Whether such comments as this one has any basis in truth (it is opposed in the same forum) is also beside the point. The point is that 'Mistrust' IS out there and this did not materialize out of thin air. If Mr. Rodriguez values his company's reputation among the many artists he depends on then he should take steps to ensure that those representing him (Producers/Accountants) simply 'Level' with us if there are cash flow problems rather than make things worse by deceiving and covering up!

In my experience, if a studio manager simply tells the truth about his company's problems to his staff/subcontractors and asks for understanding he will gain more respect,maintain credibility and preserve loyalty. The opposite is also true and, I have witnessed BOTH examples when I worked for 2 different studios in Germany.

There is a common saying in this business that applies to artists;

"Your'e only as GOOD as your last job" ( and I agree with that)

It's time WE apply these same standards to the Studios we work for. Let me offer one;

"You're only as CREDIBLE as your last payment transfer"

I only want to get my payment ASAP as I owe salaries to several artists. I stick by every word in my story and have no regrets about making it public. I hope Filmax takes the 'high road' and I will then happily announce this on this forum. I had warned Filmax that I would go public with this story several days before I did so.........NO RESPONSE!

What a pity! :(