Search form

Graduate Character Animator seeks feedback

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Graduate Character Animator seeks feedback

Hi, I just graduated from the Art Institute of Phoenix. :eek: I want to be a Character Animator, I know 3D Studio MAX and Maya really well. I'm actively looking for a job so I want to have really good stuff. I would appreciate it if people could check out my website and the animation and let me know what they think. :) Thanks a lot. Jacob Decker http://www.jacobdecker.com/

you need to focus on a bit more DYNAMIC performance. With animation you really want things to read. Emphasizing your keys and silhouetting would help a lot. I agree with one of the above posters, your lip sync leaves a lot to be desired. I would suggest picking up the book: Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right by Jason Osipa. This book is probably one of the best books on Facial Animation out there.

Also, you really need to think about your performance, what and why is the character doing what he's doing? How do you emphasize the point of what he's saying? Think about your "You lookin' at me?" clip. The first time he asks, he could be looking over his shoulder like he just noticed someone looking at him. Then he could turn to face the person, cock his head to one side, maybe squint one eye, and buldge the other like he's a little.... not quite right in the head, and as he says; "You lookin at me?" the second time he could point toward who he's talkin to, then toward himself on "me". Think of a time when someone picked a fight with you, how they postured and acted. Basically this is what this line is about, he's picking a fight (in his head). Make him Act like he's zero'ed someone out and really wants to get in his face to fight.

Go as far as you can with it, really push it out, and when you think you've gone to far, then you can scale it back. It's better to explore the whole spectrum than to be dull.

I would suggest picking up Acting for Animators, Revised Edition : A Complete Guide to Performance Animation bu Ed Hooks. There's not a lot of pretty pictures in it, but it's a quick read and gets to the point of acting.

On a side note, I think that it was either Pumbaa or Timon from Lion King that delivered this same dialogue "you lookin at me." watch that movie and look at what the animator did there. Also look at your source material. When animators work on the character they have video reference of the voice talent to work from, so they can draw their performance from that. In this case you have a movie clip of a great actor delivering the line. He's basically rehearsing in front of a mirror, he's acting like he's ACTING! You can't get better performance resource material than that! Give it a shot, and Good Luck!

I love the tail movements. How'd you set the tail up? Did you animate it manually or did you use a MEL script for it? My characters have tails and I am having trouble with getting them to work (which is one reason I keep using free rigs >_<).

The trapeze(sp?) act could use some work. Try to get more overlapping action in the legs as he swings through the air. In Big Daddy, the character's pose looks weird, but that's probably because of the structure of his legs. If it's possible I would suggest using another camera angle so that it's clear that he's sitting down.

Keep practicing and you'll get better! :D

"Animation isn't about how well you draw, but how much to believe." -Glen Keane

If I remember correctly it was Pumbaa, before "They CALL ME.....MIST-AH PIG!"

more suggestions

I watched your stuff again and have some more suggestions. Your lip sync needs work. It isn't very clear that he is saying the same thing as the audio file. As much as I love the tail, I think it's movements should coresspond to the character's emotion, rather than simply moving around. For example make the tail move angrily in Hot Day since the character is mad about being locked out. You also need to work on conveying emotion. Your character moves but it lacks life. I suggest you get a copy of Ed Hook's Acting for Animators. I'm on the last few pages of the book and I've learned a lot from it. It gives wonderful advice on how to bring your characters to life.

I hope my crit doesn't upset you. It would be dishonest to view your stuff and not point out those errors. That wouldn't help you at all. :D

Thank you

I wil definately get that book, hopefully I can get it cheep at half.com or something. Thank you for pointing those things out, it's had to really look at your own work objectively when you've been working on it for so long. As to the rig it's a Spline IK and I attached clusters to the control points on the spline so I can animte the tail manually. It'll be better the more I work on it, I think.

Checked out your site

That's pretty good animation for ust having started school. Just don't give up or slack off in class and you'll do fine.

You're welcome Jacob. I look forward to your up-dates, let me know when they're ready for viewing! Thanks for the info on the tail and for the compliment about my stuff. :D

looking pretty good

Those animations look pretty good. You might also try creating some new characters. You definitely need to show diversity when creating your heroine...like the other guy said, work on the lip sync. Keep up the good work!