Search form

2d/3d integration challenges

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
2d/3d integration challenges

just saw a screening of the korean film "blue sky" at the nuart in santa monica. the trailers looked amazing, but once again, the combination of 2d character animation and 3d environments just didn't mesh. i guess i might not have minded as much if the story were great, but it was lukewarm. i do applaud first time feature director moon sang kim on a valiant effort.

related: appleseed the movie. another example of the difficulties of blending characters that are cel shaded with beautifully rendered 3d environments. this time the character animation itself looked like something out of the video game "space channel 5." weak.

has anyone found an example (other than triplets...gorgeous) of great integration of 2d/3d?

jacksm0key's picture
--Ray, the next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'yes!'

--Ray, the next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'yes!'

On a much more amateur level, I'm working on learning 3D using a free program called anim8or so I can more easily animate backgrounds for my biker characters to ride through and still have the camera follow them through curves and turns in the road. My plan is to keep the detail on the background low so I can render it out with a 2D look.

The Triplets of Bellville used some 3D integreation in the bicycling scenes.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...