Search form

what are the prerequisites to do M.F.A in computer animation?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
what are the prerequisites to do M.F.A in computer animation?

Hi,
I am a student doing my bachelor in engineering course in information science branch. I would appreciate if you would clarify few of my doubts as to what are the criteria’s for applying to M.F.A in computer animation.

1. Given my background of study, can I apply for masters’ course in fine arts without work experience or without having done any course in the art field (i.e. as a fresh undergraduate)?

If so,
2. What are the prerequisites for such a candidate?

If not,
1. Can you suggest how I should go by to make this possible?
2. Which other universities can I apply to, with my background, to be accepted?

hey ed, thanks for the help. i guess you have provided me with enough information for me to think what i really want. probably once i get to know that i shall have my answers. otherwise i shall contact you soon. thanks again!

hey ed, thanks for the help. i guess you have provided me with enough information to think and decide what i really want. probably once i get to know that i shall have my answers. otherwise i shall contact you soon. thanks again!

It depends on two things; do you want to go the art school or tech/vocational school route and what is your definition of computer animation.

Art schools are going to require a portfolio. They are going to treat the computer as any other instrument to create art and concentrate on the work itself and the message you are trying to convey. It will most likey take you two years to finish the program. If you don't have any art background you may have a tough time getting in a program.

Many tech schools are going to be more software and hardware heavy, don't require any sort of portfolio and can have you in and out in a shorter time.

Then it's a matter of what you want to do in the very vast field of computer animation. Animate, light, model, technical director, make things go boom, etc.

If you are thinking about the more techical side like a TD; considering your background you may want to think about getting a Masters in Computer Science. These are the guys who create scripts and programs for tools and effects that can't be done with a standard 3D program.

I know I'm not answering your questions but these are things you need to know and think about before anyone can help.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida