Search form

My first sale!!!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
My first sale!!!

I sold a picture for the first time ever!!

I'm a member of a Harley forum at MSN-- I joined about a year ago when I got a rash of traffic at my website from them. Most of the time I try to just talk bikes there, but they ask once in a while what's going on. Last week one of the managers of the forum wanted to buy a signed print from Cartoon Thunder-- it was kinda hard to take, because he wanted to know "how much". I consider him a friend and just told him to send what he thought it was worth, but he made me name a price (and he paid $10 over).

Today I got two more requests from the same place. I'd also gotten the idea to do commissioned cartoon art from photos of the riders and their bikes, and a request for that.

Feels good to get a few bucks rolling in, not so much for the money as for the sense that it's going somewhere. I figure you start selling to people you know and it branches out from there??

Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to celebrate this win.

rupertpiston's picture
Cartoon Thunder There's a little biker in all of us...

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Congrats Rupert! That's great news. Just think, we'll all be starting threads here about how "We remember the early years of your career" after you take the art industry by storm... It's only a matter of time!

:)

Man, that first sale, first award, first mention in print - they're all hugely thrilling. Congrats, and here's hoping that this is just the first step in a long and very successful career.

Aaaaah, thanks to both of you. I have a hard time taking it seriously so far. I'm sending another pair of signed prints out in a couple of days for another person from the same forum. Another guy sent me pictures of him and his bike and wants to commission a custom print, something else I'd offered.

The basic print sets both go for $30. The commissioned thing I told the guy I'd do for $50 plus the cost of printing and products, just to get things rolling. I have no idea what it will really be worth since I don't know how much time it will take, but I'm hoping to get more orders like that and raise my prices as I go along.

I'm open to ideas on prices or business practices. I've been a high school teacher for 10 years and have never done anything like this until the last few years.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Congrats Rupert!

That is awesome news. It couldn't have happened to a nicer, more deserving artist! Like jchap 03 said, we'll all be saying 'we knew ye when...'.

Woohoo!

Bird :D