Search form

Animation Direction

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animation Direction

Hello everyone! I am a college student confused. I am trying to figure out what I want to major in and I am pretty lost. I want to work in anime; I would do anything in the field but what I would really like to do is direct. Does anyone have any suggestions or know flat-out what are the training requirements for animation directors? Thank you all very much in advance.

Hey Wade How ya been? This is really interesting stuff. Can you shed more light or describe experiences and what you do (in some detail) as a animation director. How did you work your way up to that posistion and what are essentials of being a good director?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." ---Gandalf

A director:

- Watches over the design and development process, insuring that the production is following his/her vision for the overall look in the character, prop and location and colour design.

- Makes notes on the script as to what he/she would like to see happen in the storyboard.

- Analyzes the script(s), and makes suggestions of what to improve within it.

- Supervises, checks, and corrects the storyboard of the production(s).

- Makes an animatic of the production(s) to set the pacing.

- Directs the voice talent to portray the characters the way that he/she invisions.

- Sets the style of animation (cartoony, more realistic, etc.) for the animators or sheet directors to follow.

- Supervises the layouts and animation, checking and approving scenes, and gives direction to the animators as necessary (on this side of the pond, or overseas).

- Supervises the ink and paint side of things, giving input as needed.

- Sits with an editor to put all the finished scenes together, calling any more retakes as necessary.

- Supervises the sound department (foley, music, sound f/x, etc.) to ensure that everything is still keeping in line with his/her original vision.

- Approves the final mix (or asks for any corrections to be made in the mix).

- Above all else, the director gets his/her team to work in harmony, all conformed to his/her vision, and working as efficiently as possible in order to obtain the best result possible.

That is it in a nutshell... Of course, this is pretty condensed, and there is a lot more involved, but this is the general idea...

To work your way up to this posiition, you need to try to get involved in as many of the aspects of the pipeline as possible, so that you understand exactly how each works... You have to keep your eyes and ears open, and listen to what others above you tell you (before you are the director)... You will never stop learning and if you are so blind as to think you know it all, you will never be a director. I learned everything I know from people more experienced than I, and their input was always appreciated. You need to take their criticism, and understand it, and put it to use later on... Working retarded hours in the beginning to get what you want is the way to go (unfortunately?). I started directing after only 5 years in the industry, and this is because I knew what I wanted and did everything I could to obtain it.

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Excellent stuff, mind if I add it to the FAQ for Students and Graduates thread?
;)
No you don't mind? Good. Thanks.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." ---Gandalf

very nice summary wade..
i would also add,,
DEALING ITH THE FREAKING CLIENT'SCHANGES
hunghhhhhhhhh

i work in commercials.. so ..it's a bit different.. but.ungh.. that takes up at least forty percent of my time as a director.

lol.
P.

Hehehehe... Yeah Pascal,

ACtually I had not thought of that, as it had been a long time since I did commercials, but if you are directing commecials, yes, dealing with clients (suits who have no idea what animation is, constantly changing their minds, or being overly nit-picky) is a very big part of the job.

Awe memories...

Hey, not to rock the boa but....

What about the case of Genndy T. coming straight from CalARTs and becoming a director and story guy for his original idea of Dee Dee, and making it huge at Cartoon Network w/ Dexter's Lab? O well, if not then how long does it usually take?

-HannaBarberaGuy-

I don't know about the specifics of that situation, but to me it seems like an exception to common practice.

But it's also common sense; they snap up this idea for a great new series...who should they appoint for creative masterminding if not the guy whose idea it was in the first place?

That is certainly not common practice... I am CERTAIN that it was a HUGE learning experience for this Genndy T. guy, as he did not have the practical experience to do the job efficiently straight out (this is an assumption, but I would hazard a guess that it is a pretty accurate assumption).

When you are selling a series idea, you have the ability to attach yourself to the project as you see fit and depending on how badly the producer wants the project, they will make the decision to grant it to you or not. He obviously attached himself as the director (as well as the creator, obviously). Does that mean he directed it by himself, without experienced individuals pointing him in the right direction? Probably not.

Usually, creators do not attach themselves this way (luckily, because I would never have been given the credit of director on anything if that was the case).

I remember I directed a series once (which I will leave nameless), which I only got the credit as the "co-director" because the creator had attached himself as the "director", but it was by credit only. He actually had very little (if anything) to do with the actual direction of the project, and it was all in my court. I did not agree with it at all, but I did it nonetheless, and got a helluva nice series out of it.

Anyways... To answer the question as to how long it takes USUALLY to get into direction, there is no set time period. It depends on the individual, and their knowledge, and abilities. I started directing after 5 years in the business, others start after 10, others after 20, and yet others never get into directing, as that does not float their boats and they are happier just drawing.

Cheers

Well, generally to be an animation director you have to start by being an animator. Directors general don't spring out of school as directors, you have to work your way from the bottom. Unless of course you want to start yuour own company. More anime style animation is being done in the US now, but a vast majority of the market is still in Japan and still almost exclusively Japanese animators.

Ender is absolutely right.

You will never come out of school and be immediately placed in a director's role.

Now by animation director, you could mean one of two things. You could mean the DIRECTOR, who needs to have a firm understanding of cinematography as well as animation, and all the other aspects of the animation pipeline. To do this, you really need a plethora of experience in many aspects of the industry. If you are looking for something to study to help you atain this (in the future), you would want to study cinematography, as well as your animation program.

You could mean however, animation director, who is the individual who directs how the animation looks, but answers to the director. He looks at work done by the animation team, and calls retakes, as well as helping them achieve the look that is needed. For this, you also need a great deal of experience AS an animator... Unfortunately, finding animation work in North America (in traditional animation) is very hard to do as all that work (or MOST of it) is sent overseas to the third world.

So there it is... Your ticket to being a director or animation director. Be patient, as it will not happen over night. It will take years probably. Luckily, if you are in this business, you are patient anyways...

Cheers

Thank you guys so much! I knew it wasn't something that would happen overnight but I had no direction and you guys provided that; thank you!