Search form

Remember the emac?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Remember the emac?

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if the emac would be suitable to use for graphics and animation. Mostly 2D but I will do some 3D stuff also. I know I ask alot about computers suitable for animation in this forum but I am just making sure that I get the best I can afford.

gavvalion. :o

If you are going to be doing any 3d work, I wouldn't recommend it. Shoot for a Power Mac at least. But you'll find you can get more bang for your bucks with a PC.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

The emacs were repackaged first edition imacs that were directed towards k-12 schools. They are very stripped down and not recommended for graphics use. Definitely if you're going Macintosh, spring for at least a silver and white G4 imho.

emacs+G4

I heard that the emac has G4 and there is one that has a super drive. The reason I even thought of the emac is its lower price compared to the other macs and the fact that they say macs are best to work on when doing graphics, animation, etc.

gavvalion. :)

I really honestly think that that statement is outdated. PCs and Macintoshes have completely comperable performance when it comes to graphics.

Here's the review from ZDNet.

Editors' rating:7.7 GoodUser rating:83% 17% from 23 users

The good:Excellent 17-inch CRT display; easy setup; inexpensive, updated models offer 1.25GHz G4s with 256MB of memory.

The bad:Limited expansion; only 32MB of graphics memory; meager documentation; mediocre warranty.

What's it for:Doing your school homework and running basic office apps.

Who's it for:Students or any Mac fan on a budget.

Business use:The eMac can ably handle basic office tasks, but creative pros with demanding graphics needs should look elsewhere.

Essential extras:Apple iPod (15GB), Apple iPod mini, Apple AirPort Extreme

The bottom line:The eMac delivers an attractive, adequately speedy, easy-to-use PC without the flat-panel iMac's relatively high price.

what should I get ?

Thanks guys for your advice and statistis. Since the emac wouldn't be practical for my needs, is there a machine in the PC world just as affordable and fits my needs? Give me some laptop options too.

gavvalion. :)

I don't think you are going to find a laptop that can do what you need for a bargain price. Shoot for a nice medium range desktop. Just pay attention to the graphics board, and shoot for as much ram as you can afford.

Oh and if you have to buy a prepackaged model, don't buy a Compaq or Gateway. Don't ask me what that leaves you, but I've been keeping a couple friends units going and one is a Gateway, the other is an older Compaq. With all the proprietary software... and Compaq even has some stuff written directly to the bios, this just makes restoring a real pain in the butt.

Grab your phone book or newspaper and make some calls to local computer assemblers. It's really nice to be able to talk to a real person when stuff goes down, and if you talk to them and tell them what sort of work you are looking at doing, if they are honest they'll give you at least three alternative configurations. It doesn't cost anything to talk with them.

Start reading reviews like these. Cnet is always a good place to start out comparision shopping.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3118_7-5554913.html?tag=promo2