Search form

Refurbished laptop for animation

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Refurbished laptop for animation

Does anyone think it is a good idea to use a refurbished laptop for animation?

The brand will probably be, IBM,COMPAQ,DELL.

gavvalion :o

What type of animation are you planning on doing Gav?

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

You don't mention where you're getting the refurbished machine from. If you're buying it from the manufacturer or a clearing house, usually it's a machine that's been returned due to a problem experienced by the original purchaser.

By buying a refurbished machine, you're betting that the manufacturer has been successful in removing the ghost from the machine, which is not always the case. I find that bet to not be worth the money saved. I prefer to go with a new machine and pay the extra for the peace of mind (and full warranty) that comes with it.

The Little Laptop Shop

The little laptop shop is on the web at www.thelittlelaptopshop.com and the store is here in NYC. The machines also come with a warranty. Truthfully this is what I can afford at the moment and I really want to get started with animation.

Please tell me what you guys think!

gavvalion :o

If you're just getting started 50 dollars is a lot cheaper for a lightbox. Or if you're doing 3D animation, anything that's under 150 bucks for software will run on computers built ages ago.

I wouldn't recommend a Compaq anything. I've been busy trying to keep a friend's and my nieces Compaq's going. And they are a pain in the ass. All that proprietary software just bogs them down and makes them next to impossible to restore to any semblance of stability without removing the Compaq crap and they make that difficult to do, plus all the extra software that came with them is tied up in that Compaq crap, so if you do go with a clean OS install from another disk you lose things like your word processor and that stuff.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Look for a used or refurbished desktop. You'll get more for your money. The graphics cards seem to be heftier on them also, and if you are going to be doing any 3d work you need a good graphic's driver/card.

The only used laptop I'd recommend would be a Sony Vaio, and I didn't see any there.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.