Search form

Brand new short, please critique!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brand new short, please critique!

Hey all, I am a highschooler hoping to become an animatior on day and was wondering if I could get some critique on my newest short film:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jtn1989/hiyaanimation

The link is on the front page.
Thank you

JN

Eric - you made a comment about timing and staging being some of the important aspects of animation, what did you mean by this? probably simple answer but i was just curious!

as a current animation student at CSU Northridge, i would absolutely agree that timing and staging are two very important aspects of telling a story. all we hear in our classes is that timing skills will get you a job over someone who has great draughting skills but weak timing. i also think its great that you are getting a head start.

a great way to learn is by watching your fav. cartoons in frame by frame. then things like anticipation, squash/stretch, etc. become very easy to understand.

keep it up! :D

--Ray, the next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'yes!'

Gotta go with E on this one.

A short film that is 90percent titles..... eh....

redraw everything, but keep the feeling you get in the eyes.

go to animationmeat.com and look at brad birds notes on layout.

And change all your art to match his rules.

If you don;t want to do anything different, show the character in his long shot having a tantrum while screaming.....at least you'll probably get a laugh.

The first rule is timing. draftsmanship is down in the middle somewhere.
Timing and staging.......is what pays the bills.

Keep going and don't let anyone stop you.
Get a college degree. I have known some talented people from The Ringling School, or go somewhere you like.

Eustace is right though.....you are starting early and the thing most of us who are 20 years farther along is we wish we had gotten better at drawing and caricature sooner.

Happy Trails,
Eric HEdman

animation-story-design-art

Hey Eric, are those the ones entitle "Spumco Layout Theories" on the Prime Cuts page? Or Brad Bird's Notes on Composition on the Downloads page?

I guess it doesn't really matter since I went and looked an promised to myself I'd read 'em both. There's so much terrific stuff there, I really need to choose a few pieces to work through and put to use.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Nice music :)

Thanks for replying all :)
I am REALLY trying to work on actually putting some animation in my films. I think you all will find this one an improvement:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jtn1989/hiyaanimation/id51.html

As I am moving on into working on making REAL animation I am looking back on this one and Monster Mash and feeling kinda stupid.

Thanks for you comments!

Spoooze!

Nice music :)

Ha ha thanks. That's really the only likeable thing about it.

my critique is this :

spend more time doing animation.

an animated film should have animation.

A lot of what you have in this film is just still images.

That's not animation.

"EustaceScrubb" has left the building