Search form

Pencil Vs Computer. Please Give Your Opinions And Help Me With My Dissertation!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pencil Vs Computer. Please Give Your Opinions And Help Me With My Dissertation!

Hi everyone. Im in my 3rd year at university studying animation and im currently writing my dissertation entitled "Pencil vs Computer." Ive came up with what i feel to be lots of great points and i feel ive wrote a rather good essay though my tutor doesnt feel the same and thinks it needs more.

Im turning to all you guys for some help, some more opinions and views on this topic not only to help me with my dissertation, but to also share how everyone in animation feels about CGI and what effects it is having.

Please, if you are interested in this topic and would be kind enough to help me, post your views and opinions here or leave relevant liks to information that may help me and others. I'd like to get as much feedback as possible from people in favour of 2D and 3D animation to further build on my dissertation.

If anyone is interested in reading my essay feel free to ask me and i'll e mail you a copy. Its currently 4300 words but needs to be 5500.

I would be asking my tutor what to do but she is of no help at all and knows nothing about animation! I feel this is my best option to gain a range of views and opinions so i hope you can all help me out,

MANY THANKS!!!!!

you'll find that this animation artist: http://www.paulfierlinger.com/ might be interesting for your piece
He has just won the grand prix at the Ottawa animation festival with a 2D computeranimated film made without the use of a single piece of paper.
but he also used to work traditional, making films without the use of a single computer!

you can try to contact him via his site

or view some of his stuff here: http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/user_pfierlinger.php

Peter Wassink - Digital 2D Animator

The animator has many tools available for production through all stages of the creative process. Choosing the proper tools should be based on a number of factors including available resources, skill and desired aesthetic. Pencil should not be favored over digital simply because one is always better than the other. Each method has its merits and shortfallings. They also might not be so different from each other. As the computer evolves, digital and pencil will become increasingly similar. Afterall, computer drawing boards are not so different from pad and pencil right now.

A major advantage of digital animation over traditional is the freedom, versatility and precision of control over the graphic elements of a composition. Hue, saturation, light, texture and 3-dimensionality can be manipulated as separate elements with distinct sub-properties. Video, photograph and image scan may also become integrative elements of expression. Though this has also been the case with traditional methods, the computer allows easy and cost-efficient ways to combine graphic elements without costly paints, brushes, film and chemical processes

A disappointing trend in computer-aided animation is the crispness or digital-feel in the treatment of form and color. Computer-aided drawing and painting has significantly reduced the production time for animation by automating processes such as falling light and dropping shadow. But there is much room for experimentation on the computer, this spare production time could be spent expressing visual properties in unique ways. I like creating animated textures that are a secondary to primary motion. I do this using digital photographs and scans of interesting light and dark patterns arranged in time.

Puzuki | Creative Productions
abstract, experimental, textures, motion art