Search form

Quick question about run cycle timing

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick question about run cycle timing

Just a general question really quickly. On average, at 24fps, what would you say the step timing is for a standard adult character in a full-on run cycle? How about a child? Are they the same? Also, what then is the timing relationship between the contact pose, passing and recoil in a full run?

Ender

Run cycles vary in timing, according to the style. I will give you some general numbers for both styles.

Realistic run:

Human adult - 12-14 FRAMES per step. A fast run can be done at 10.
Human child - 10-12 FRAMES per step. A fast run can be done at 8.

Cartoony run:

Human adult - 10-12 FRAMES per step. A fast run can be done at 8.
Human child - 8-10 FRAMES per step. I have done fast run cycles for cartoony "little" characters in 6 frames per step... Yes, that is right 3 drawings only, and it worked beautifully. As long as you have your squash, stretch and contact drawings, it will be fine, but they need to be posed very strongly (well silhouetted).

These are obviously just base numbers, and used as a guideline. It all completely depends on the motiviation of the character, the size of the character, and the style in which it is done in.

Good luck!

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

are you sure you dont mean 12 frames per cycle, not step Wade? I've always averaged 12 frames per step in a walk-one full cycle in 24 frames. Ender, you need to buy the bible. The Animators Survival Kit, Richard Williams. Its worth every penny.

No, Johnny, I meant 12 frames per step. A cycle is the two steps (left and then right) which would hook up at the end to produce... a cycle (thus 24 frames for the entire cycle).

12 frames per step is for a realistic run cycle.

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

a walk is just something

you just absolutely need to see.

line test it. adjust it endlessly either way. even the mistakes you make will be invaluable. but see it.

a run can be made from four or six keys per cycle each having two or one in-betweens. that would put you 10 to 12 frames to a step, close to Wade.

take care not only of timing but spacing-- how high and far the stride, the bobs and swings. a lot of factors affect it, esp. when you're characterizing the walk.

good luck ender.

Don't worry.  All shall be well.

I think that this information

I think that this information is the best.

192.168.o.1