Search form

Toon Boom Studio

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toon Boom Studio

Can anyone tell me if Toon Boom Studio animation software is widely used
by animator's and/or accepted by clients and buyers of animation. As a 2d program does it have major drawbacks?

They should have a list of clients at there website.

I use the heck out of it, but I ain't nobody (...yet?)

Generally I like it quite a bit. Easy organization of scenes and layers. Terrific color management. If you're on Mac, version 2.5 has a scanner interface. The only thing I find lame about it is the difficulty I have with accurately importing scanned artwork. Could be my ineptitude with a pencil, not sure. What I'm starting to do (and get better at) is to scan my roughs, then trace them with my Wacom in Toon Boom. This gets me way better lines.

Also, the library (sorta like the one in Flash) works great for re-using entire layouts, then re-arranging or adjusting them. A big time saver.

However, speaking of lines, graphics dont' interact the way they do in Flash, but it still works well. Also has flexible output (.mov or .swf) for web or broadcast, and user defined workspace size.

If you wind up with it, send me an email or something. There's a few tricks they don't really tell you in the book that I've learned over time to improve workflow. Also, the LipSynch mapping on it works great with clean audio and well inunciated dialogue, but any accent or character can throw it off. I keep Magpie (the cheap version) around to double check my work since the Sound Editor window in TBS can be a little lame.

Also, get the full blown version, not Express, if you choose to get this solution.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

How does Toon Boom compare with the TAB? I've been trying to get any information on a comparison between these two products, but so far, haven't been able to find any first hand reviews or comparisons between both.

kms007

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

Toon Boom

My University are running studios in Toon Boom so i wouldn't be surpised if companies in the industry use it to make their animation .
however the presention ( MAster)copy to clients is converted to DVD or DV tapes

:o

Thanks Mr. R Piston

Very helpful. Thanks. Great website you've got. I'm a cartoonist wanting to toy around with animation for the 1st time and it seems that there are just a few popular programs ( Flash, Maya etc.). So I was wondering why Toon Boom has not caught on despite high praise from MacAddict and Macworld. Maybe this will take time. I think I'll go for it and buy the full version.

My pleasure, sir. Thanks for checking out my site. Working on a Christmas cartoon right now. I'm normally a grinch, and here it is October 17 and I've been whistling Christmas songs for a week now.

Seriously, send me an email and let's talk workflow. There's a few tricks I've fiugred out around scanning, import settings, and color management. I'd enjoy helping out, and if nothing else I have some lip charts that match the TBS system--they cleverly leave that out of most of their documentation.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...