Search form

Sheridan v Capilano v VanArts

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sheridan v Capilano v VanArts

So here we find ourselves again. You, the reader, reading someone's (mine) plea for advice on which Canadian animation school they should attend. I had a more detailed post ready, then Explorer crashed on me, so I'm going to summarize.

I spent a year in a state school in MD for no major in particular, decided it wasn't for me, and have been living in NYC for the past 3 years. I decided a few years ago that I wanted to get into the animation industry, but the schools out there were too competitive for me to get into. So I've spent the last few years working on my fundamentals. I think I have a nice little portfolio now, and am looking for something like what Sheridan's 2 year program was.

I want a program that is intense, short (preferrably not 4 years), relatively inexpensive, and produces the kind of comical, subversive 2D digital animation that got me into this whole thing in the first place.

Sheridan seems too collegiate.
VanArts seems too commercial.
Capilano seems too hard to get into. (though I'll never know if I dont try, right?)

Anyone have any advice?

I'm wondering where are the namelist of 3D animation companies i

So, do u have any advice? :confused:

You can find that on AWN's main page. They have a school directory that lists all the different school Programs.

Here

companies

I meant 3D animation companies
I'm working in a 3D animation company.I'm looking for cooperation companies.
We can provide the full service of 3D animation.
Where can I go?
Thank you! :)

Then why are you posting in this thread?

because I don't know how to start a new topic. :o

School decisions

I work for VanArts, and based on your description of what you're looking for in a school, you may wish to investigate us further.

Contact me directly at 1-800-396-2787.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Ken Priebe

Capilano vs. Sheridan

Actually, Capilano is pretty easy to get in to. I'm on the selection committee and am the person who designed the curriculum. We only look for people who can draw what they see and that's an easy skill if you're committed to learning it. Start with simple objects like a baseball and move on from there: Action figures, furniture, animals and people.

Email animation@gradshow.com for an application kit and follow the guidelines carefully, giving us what we ask for. Go to www.gradshow.com/gallery.html to see the type of work we do (but make sure your work is totally original).

We only have about 100 applicants a year and a lot of them don't know what to send. Your chances are a lot better than any lottery, especially since you have control over what you submit. There's a $100 application fee for international students but no limitation on the number of international students we can accept. So you have to work to get in, but once you're there you're treated very well. You have a guaranteed space in the next year's class as long as you pass. At other schools, they have fewer spaces in 2nd/3rd/4th/ year.

If you worked to get in, you're more likely to work to stay in a program and you're going to have to compete with our grads for jobs anyway....you might as well graduate from here.

If you post your portfolio on a simple website (get a geocities account or tripod) and email me: don@gradshow.com, then I'd be happy to give you advice on what you need to get in.

Good luck,

Don Perro, program coordinator
Capilano College Commercial Animation