Search form

what program did they use to make jib jab toons?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
what program did they use to make jib jab toons?

i am specifically referring to the 2 latest political toons?

It is probably a combination of 3D Studio Max, Lightwave 3D, and Flash. Characters and backgrounds are are done in either 3D Studio Max or Lightwave. They have some great plugins for hair textures, skin textures, and stuff like that. But I've found to actually produce the movie that Flash is easiest.

jibjab software

JibJab doesn't use flash they use a program like http://anime.smithmicro.com/index.html a program that you can drag and drop cut and paste images into place use your mouse to move around images and input frames for each movement. like CreaToon. it's free look at this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVFdAJRVm94 at the end of video it tells about some of the software

I hope they haven't sold out.Wanna see more new things for free. Maybe I am wrong.

Animate2D Studio Edition! Just joking...

They used a 2D cutout style animation tool for Android called Animate2D Studio Edition.
Ha ha ha just kidding. But you might want to check it out if you have an Android device. It's great for experimenting with animations on the go and you can import your own content as well.

They probably use flash but 3D Studio Max or Lightwave can also be used. Not sure

I belive they are put together in Flash, using Photoshop for photo manipulation.

But I could be wrong.

I belive they are put together in Flash, using Photoshop for photo manipulation.

But I could be wrong.

You aren´t wrong jchap. Jib Jab uses Flash in all their animations.

Peter Wilstermann ¦ The Yellow House Project
www.peterwilster.com

Yup, Flash and Photoshop. I believe it took about 4 or 5 peeps to create This Land in about 5 weeks. They have a new one up that was commissioned by Jay Leno (Tonight Show).

Yup they've been Flashing longer than I have. So for all those folks that say Flash isn't an animator/animating software, think again.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Definantly flash, but I had no idea they used Photoshop...

Yeah if you browse around their site, you'll see a lot of bitmap work in the mix. And the most expedient program to use for that is PS. Alot of their stuff is hybrid work using photo cutouts and 2d animation/sketching. Especially the early Bill Clinton stuff.

Interview with JibJab

On Friday, I had the opportunity to spend about 20 minutes on the phone with Evan Spiridellis, one of the two brothers who make up JibJab Media, for an article that will appear shortly on the Skwigly On-line Animation Magazine website (http://biganimation.com). It was fun to talk to him about their tremendous success with the two Bush-Kerry animated satire shorts. They were created in Flash MX on a consumer-grade Apple MacIntosh G-5 computer. The first one ('This Land') took eight weeks to create, working 12-hour days. The sequel took five weeks. Really only four people worked on them. Evan and his brother Gregg (ages 30 and 33) shared directing credits, with Evan doing most of the art-work and Gregg writing humorous lyrics and so on for the songs, and action, etc., (scripting). Music was arranged and recorded by Evan's wife Adrienne (great job), and all voice-acting was provided by Jim Meskimen (who showed great range and dead-on interpretations). Images of well-known politicians were gleaned from government website. There was a legal action filed against JibJab at one point by Ludlow Music, seeking to restrain distribution because they had not gotten permission to use Woody Guthrie's song 'This Land Is Your Land', but this was finally resolved favorably for JibJab. There have been between 50 million and 60 million 'hits' or on-line views of the shorts, 3 times the number of people viewing either candidate's websites for July, and twice or three times as many watching either the Democratic of Republican national conventions on TV. JibJab's other successful product is a children's book called 'Grumpy Santa', and a line of toys based on that book. They have also done ad work for clients such as Sony, Kraft Foods, Revlon and Disney. Check out the complete article for more details and comments from Evan at the Skwigly website in the next few days.

Julian Phillips
P.O. Box 414
Santa Margarita, CA 93453
julian@tcsn.net
805-438-4363
Management: Clark Management
Agent: Elda Loesch 818-577-0981

Thanks for the details! Look forward to the article.

here it is....

An interview done on friday with Evan Spiridellis from Jib Jab.

http://www.skwigly.co.uk/magazine/news/article.asp?articleid=332&zoneid=3

Don't forget to try out the live animation chat rooms -www.skwigly.co.uk

Has anyone noticed that Hoola Boy, Nasty Santa and other old Jib Jab stuff is no longer on their website.
I suspect they will come out with a "Greatest Flash Hits" dvd and sell it for $30.

Yeah I hadn't been over there in a while. And after posting I visited again. The old stuff is gone, expect to pay for it in the future. I brought this up over at FlashFilmmaker and got jumped on for suggesting they might have sold out. It was a question of bandwidth overload, but don't expect to find the old stuff for free anymore.

Getting compensated for creating entertaining content is selling out?