Search form

Software question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Software question

I am a complete beginner to animation and would like to know what software to buy to start with and where to get it.

I would like to try 2D to start with. I've tried a program on a short course, but can't remember what it was.

I've looked in computer shops but the packages are very basic and I can't find a solely animation magazine.

I have a digital camera, scanner and windows xp, books and an idea which I think is almost everything you need to start. Any tips would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Izzy

issy,
I think that maybe your best bet would be to start with toon boom. It's not crazy-expensive, and its easy to use. It lets you mostly ignore the program and focus on the animation, which is what animators want to do anyway. I think that it's a great tool that lets you begin working and viewing your animations quickly.

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

You can't go wrong with Flash, but go to ebay and look for version 5 or MX I don't think you want to start out with MX2004. It's overkill unless you are a developer.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

some places that sell flash mx and things offer discounts for students or if you know a teacher if you pay them they can get you a good discount too

dont buy flash... it is NOT animation software

that people do animate with it, is the result of a tragic turn of events
that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual strengths of the program.

flash is mostly a web designer tool
so... unless you want your animations only to be played online, don't use flash

if you want to do 2D animation directly into the computer use a programme that was designed for it like:
-Toonz : http://www.toonz.com/
-Toonboom http://www.toonboom.com/main/
-Mirage: http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/index.php

Peter Wassink - Digital 2D Animator

If your starting, get flash, it's fast and efficient and IS animation software - ie it's software and you can animate with it. I use flash and I've had stuff on TV and shown at festivals

The Brothers McLeod
[SIZE=2]brothersmcleod.co.uk[/SIZE]

I've used the heck out of Toon Boom and have enjoyed it and the results I've gotten from it. I also think Digicel Flipbook is pretty awesome, but you'd likely have to get Magpie to go with it if you intend to do any lip synch.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

quicktime. its $30.00. buy a 3 hole punch, make a light box from wood and 1/4" plexi which has been sanded and some lamp hardware, tape a pegbar to it, buy reams of paper and go! shoot it right off the pegbar with a digital camera and squish the frames in quicktime. It's cheap, effective, and will let you know how much you like 2D without blowing a bunch of money and without dealing with a severe software learning curve.

See, I dropped some cash on a lightbox from Lightfoot, Ltd, spent a bunch more on software, and arranged a room at my house around it. I hafta like it! I have to get 4-5 years of enjoyment out of it or my wife will never let me hear the end of it!!

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...