Search form

Urgent!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Urgent!

i need help!!! in few days my film's colouring will get over. i have few questions regarding the post of an animated film. the treatment is ink on an off white coloured paper. ok questions---

1) should i scan the art works as a tiff image at 300dpi for the best quality

2) after scanning i have to remove the backgrounds of each frame on photoshop. if i use the magicwand and try to delete it...then the edges of my chracter's images are not smooth so how to solve this problem? there are more than 1200 frames...

3) then for video the frame size should be 720x576. so should i convert each image in photoshop...?

4) then some part of the film includes under water scenes. i'll be compositing many layers in after effects. for this the image should of what size...and how things can be done faster. should i save images as psd for after effects?

5) i want to add some special effects which could enhance the under water feeling. for this which software should be good...smoke, combusion, digital fusion etc. please tell me about the possibilities...

i have very little time so please reply as soon as possible. thanks alot.

for part number three, don't use change the resolution in photoshop, do it in a post program like after effects.
I'm not sure about the rest... I've had luck using the contrast on photoshop to make the lines darker for using the magic wand to take out the white part.

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

thanks alot. i'll take care of that.
one friend of mine told me to scan the images as bmp, what do you think? but then the texture will go away...lets see.

second hand info

1. lossless formats are fine-- bmp, tga, tiff (not jpg) but the deciding factor is the program that will color it. 200 dpi they say is fine, if you don't zoom too much.

2. monkeygirl is right-- either levels or contrast/brightness done as batch action. from what i know though, digital paint programs know how to interpret which part of your drawing is transparent white-- no need to setup an alpha channel.

3. normally every layer should have the same size. after effects will generate the same size if you ask it to do special effects. you can make the effects layer bigger if you're going to do pans or camera shakes. ae can also take a lot of diff. formats, not only psd.

disclaimer: advice only good until better ones arrive.

Don't worry.  All shall be well.

thankyou so much. till now i am planning to work like this:

scan images as tiff 200dpi

delete unwated areas in photoshop and save them as psd

do the timing in animo

add effects in afeter effects and import the film as targa sequence

then the final edit in adobe premeier or final cut pro

and finally go for sound!!

this method is good for short films and especially if the colouring is done by hand. otherwise one should work in sofware like us animation, toonz etc.

Sounds like you need to ask around and get a copy of adobe streamline. For my flashes, I saved my line drawings at 200 dpi PCXs and batch converted them in streamline to ai files (vectorised). No need to go in and delete the white areas....if I understand correctly.

i didn't know about adobe streamline! i'll ask my friends. but my art works are coloured and i want the texture of the paper to show as well. in that case will the vectorised files look flat??

.......if I understand correctly.

Sorry. I didn't understand correctly.

i am sorry...i think i am too lost!

but finally i have got a team of people who will assist me. they will do the scanning, cleanup in photoshop and the compositing for the film. i am relaxed now...

i think my film will be done by 27th oct.