Search form

widescreen dimensions in Flash

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
widescreen dimensions in Flash

Ok, I'm entering an animated commercial for a competition, for the Sundance Film Festival. I was just told that the entry should be in widescreen. So I"m wondering if anyone knows what dimensions I should make my movie in Flash?

The template feature in Flash only has a template for television dimensions. If anyone knows, feel free to pass along the info!

bluehickey's picture
Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Check with Ibis over at FlashFilmmaker.com . He probably knows.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

high deff or standard tv?

the commercials will be shown on widescreen tv's.

As long as its not being projected in high definition, and it is only on widescreen tv's, it also depends where it is. If its in a PAL country, then I'd make my flash dimensions 1024 x 576. When you convert it into DV, it will be squashed to 720 x 576 (4:3), but when showing on a widescreen telly it will stretch it out again to 16:9.

I'd stick with these dimensions, even if you go for NTSC in the end, becauase NTSC is at a lower resolution, so you won't loose any quality.

I agree with Badja.

I do the animation in flash at 1024 x 576. I then edit at 720 x 576 with the 16:9 setting on. This squashes the pic and will pop to the correct size when on TV or play at widescreen if exported to be screened at a festival etc.

Greg

The Brothers McLeod
[SIZE=2]brothersmcleod.co.uk[/SIZE]

I'm on NTSC here in the states. A friend at the Toon Boom forum advised me to use 1280x720, which I have been for a bit. Haven't gotten it onto a widescreen display yet, so I don't know for sure. Trying to find the information and the link he referred me to, but I'll post it when it turns up.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Hey Blue, could you ask the Sundance guys for more specific specifications on what they want other than just widescreen? Other than that, I'm of no use to you. :D

Aloha,
The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."