Search form

An opinion

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
An opinion

Hey, I just want to get your all's opinions on which idea for a film sounds most interesting, I plan to do them all eventually but I wanna know which i should do next:

Film: A Christmas Carol 3000
Genre: Sci-Fi/Drama
Description: Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" set in the year 3000 AD.

Film: When I Grow Up to Be a Man
Genre: Musical/Drama
Description: A kid goes through many toils in life and finially at the end feels he's finially grown up. I'm still woking on the story a bit. It features songs by "The Beatles" and "The Beach Boys".

Film: I Was a Teenage Rat
Genre: Sci-Fi/Comedy
Description: A teenage kid turns into a rat. Need I say more? It's based on a story I wrote two years ago.

Please give me your opinions!
~JN

Three great ideas. But they're a little incomplete. It would be interesting to take these three great concepts and close them up a little on the other side.

Just growing up, just turning into a rat....How can you take that a little further.

He grows up, but what's the twist? He turns into a rat, but what's the twist?

You catch me...they're three good opening ideas, but take them somewhere..one extra phrase. It's hard to judge which one'll go where when there's this little info.

Adam

yes you definately need a few more lines elaborating these basic ideas

and also indicate what lenght your thinking of
in judging an idea it makes a lot of difference if the film is supposed to be 4 minutes or 90

Peter Wassink - Digital 2D Animator

I'm still working on the story for When I Grow Up, but here's some more stuff on it:
Ok, the kids name is Johnny Bee,
He goes through his child life with not much difficulty,
When he is grown up he is in really bad shape, he really needs a lot of help so he calls on a old friend to help him out, she does.
He finially get's married a year later and his old friend comes back to congratulate him but his wife sees him with her and thinks there's something going on between them and leaves Johnny. Johnny is so depressed he goes out to sea for a long time and when he finially gets back he finds out that his wife actually does love him and theyu get back together again and he finially feels like he has grown up.
It's a story still in progress but that is the main thing.

Ok here is where you can find out more about Teenage Rat:
http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1692169
and that is where you'll get the full story I'm baseing it off of.

Hope this helps :)
~JN

Oh yes the lengths:
I'm estimateing "When I Grow Up" to be about 20-25 mins

"Carol 3000" to be about the same

And "Teenage Rat" to be about 4-5 mins long.

Spooze,

You have an incredible imagination. The rat story feels like a nightmare, literally. I got that same type of weird, dark feeling that you get when you're dreaming, and everything seems to happen around you, and you can't quite absorb everything. You have a very visual mind, which is fantastic for animation. I got a good idea of what type of feel and mood and style the film might be. It's a great start.

Seeing is how you're on the right track with these stories, here are a few tips.

-Re-read your story (strories) a few times, as though you were someone who's never read them before, and had no idea what the story was about. Read it thinking to yourself "would someone reading this, know exactly what I was talking about". Often, as a writer, although the story that you're writing is going on clearly in your mind, you aren't necessarily explaining that properly in writing. (I do that all the time).

(for example...in your head, you're thinking...His mother walks into her son's room, wondering why he didn't come downstairs for dinner, after she called him to come down for dinner three times. When she opens the door and looks inside, no one's there. Once more, his mother calls out his name. When she does, I (the rat), hear her, and come out from under the bed to meet her, not realizing that I'm still a rat, and look up at my mother smiling. My mother looks down, seeing the rat, and starts screaming. I try to tell her that it's me, but I can't speak. That's when I remember that I'm a rat. I try to tell her, but I just can't. My words just come out as high-pitched squeaks. My mother panics and runs over to grab the broom behind my door, and lifts it over her head, ready to swing it at me. I try to scream at her to stop, but she doesn't understand. She swings down with the broom, and the bristles come down hard across my face, cutting into my fragile rat skin, making me bleed in pain."

as opposed to..

"My mother walks into the room and screams at the rat..She swings at me with her broom, making me bleed from the nose."

In both stories, you were saying the same thing. The only difference was, in one case, you were telling the story, doing more thinking then writing. In the other, you're painting an entire, clear image of every little detail, for the person who is reading it. They know exactly what's going on, detail by detail. You're explaining feelings, moods, reactions, settings, causes, effects, everything. That way, it's clear what's going on.

- something else...depending on what you're writing for, there are different lengths of time that the film should fall into.
For example...some studios ask for 5 minute films, some 10. If you're doing a film for TV, then the usual "slots" of time that you're permitted to do are 22 minutes, or 44. Why? Because of the commercials in between. If your film is made to fit into a half hour time slot, then there will be 8 minutes of commercials. If you want an hour slot for your film, then you'll have 16 minutes of commercials. That's how it goes.

- Now, how the hell do you write something, knowing that it'll fall into the right time slot. How do you turn words into images? There's a system that production companies have devised, that seem to do the trick. I've used this method, and it seems to work great funny enough.
When you write your film, ONE PAGE or script, should equal ONE MINUTE of filming. And if you're writing your script, the letters should be 11 pt in size,and the spacing should be 1.5. You use that method my dear Spooze, and no production company should argue with you.

- And one last thing...you need a kick-ass imagination. The ability to create a scenario that's interesting and entertaining to the audience. Well, in your case, you got it, so keep it up.

Now I'm off to pick up my little girl from ballet, so I'll talk to you soon Spooze. I really enjoyed reading your stories...they were very cool.

Talk to you soon,

Adam

Anything with a Christmas Carol-based storyline becomes redundant after the Scrooge character is identified. The story is too well known to be interesting unless its played very differently from the norm--setting it in the future or any other time period won't change that.

the other two ideas sound more interesting......but........what is their "reason for being"?? Tha teenage rat one sounds like the most interesting candidate, but again, I assume it has some edge or gimmick that makes it stand apart from the normal " I was a teenage ( fill-in fav noun here)"???

Really ANY idea can have merit if you play it right. All three of these could be good springboards if you play them differently then what's usually expected.

--Ken

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

I think I am definantly making "Carol 3000" next. I still need to work on the two others. I have found some good voices and the people I'm working with seem interested. I am trying to think of some cool gadgets, ideas, and stuff so it will be different than your average "Christmas Carol" film.

I believe I saw a cartoon by a major studio about a boy that is turned into a dog, and also a feature about a boy that becomes a bug(think it's called My brother is a bug). It's nearly impossible nowadays to find 100percent original ideas nowadays, but you can always give them a new twist. After all, Star Wars was loosely based in an old japanese samurai movie. You just have to be careful not to copy models.
Resist the temptation (in the case of the rat script) of producing an animalized version of Honey I shrunk the kids!