Search form

what must i do to step into the animation world?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
what must i do to step into the animation world?

hi ppl! i am first timer here.i am doing a integrated post graduate media course in india. i wanna know what must need to learn before joining an animation college. is a degree in fine arts a must? i would be good if anyone could help me on that.

The only thing that's a must from what I've garnered in my little humble experience in the real world, is talent. The people I've talked to could give a flying rats bottom about what kind of degrees you have if you're crazy good. The reason people go to school and get degrees in this field is because its a concentrated place to practice your craft, not for the piece of paper they get at the end (even if thats what they think they're going for). That is unless you want to *teach*, in which case you'd better have a Masters degree. I've found my fine arts experience to be invaluable in my animation work, but I've known plenty of people that didn't even go to college that work as animators in the industry. *shrug*

Ender

i need some more info!

thank you Ender! then wat sort of softwares must i learn to join the animation world..wat is the criteria ppl are taken into the field? wat sort homework could i do?

Talent, schoolin', and work experience...

...and a high pain tolerance.

There's really no substitute for a good foundation in a classical animation program. Fine arts is a good start to becoming a better artist, but animation training at a good school is certainly recommended by most employers. Learn your animation fundamentals first, then the software. However, if you don't have the talent to begin with it will be a long uphill battle that might ultimately be a losing one. There are lots of 'professionals' with both talent and experience who are out of work right now, so it's not always a sure thing out there in the real world.

Best of luck with your animation endeavors!

-Musky

Hey you're in india for god's sake. Everythings getting outsourced there in droves, so learn to hit the render button, pull 16 hour shifts, and you're in..

No I jest. I think maya, renderman and houdini skills are the most sought after, as well as inferno/flame stuff. You can take high impact courses ( like 2-3 month stints) in any of these areas to get you production ready.

India's a booming market man, best o luck.

Ohhh.. INDIA...

hi ppl! i wanna know what must need to learn before joining an animation college.

well harini... i understand that you are in india now...and did ur masters... although there are many institutes offering 3-6 months package, all are useless from the production POV... as far as i know there is no college in india which offers some animation degree.... institutes teach software and how to operate and what you can get... but when u come to production, it becomes waste... BFA is not essential... but will help for getting senior positions after working 5-8 years... but you should have good knowledge of basics of animation and art.

If you are rich enough to spend some 20lakh INR.... get an admission in VFS in canada... fly there and do a one year diploma which is worth...perform well...get a job somewhere across atlantic and never think abt workin in india... india is like shit now and will be for another 4-5 years...
if you are not rich, get into some institute... start from basics of color and animation.. learn illustrator/coreldraw...then photoshop.... and then decide what u want... 2d or 3d animation... flash for 2d and maya for 3d will be good choice.. but.. before u start off.. get a powerpacked system with internet... get into cgtalk and digitaltutors forum.. ask as many doubts as u want and learn... download tutorials... buy books and dvd's and depend 90% on books and 10% on ur faculty... you can do it in a years time.. then join any stupid company as trainee.... work for a year and try for a job abroad.... companies in india will eat away ur beautiful life.... dont spoil it...

good luck.. :cool:

Harini:

Draw, draw, draw. Draw as MUCH as you can. Build up sketchbooks worth of great portfolio material before you even pick up any software package. The tools you can learn, the artistic skill takes years (decades? a lifetime?) to master. Also, check out several Animation books. Learn and practice the 2D animation techniques.

Hope that helps,

kms007

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"