Search form

I need Help!!!!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need Help!!!!

I want to sell one of my ideas to a video game company. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THE INDUSTRY WORKS, OR HOW you can even get your material in the door. If there is anyone who knows this industry, or might have an idea, I would appreciate it.

you could try writing it out formally and find a way to contact them and send it.. not much can else you can really do..i think wait for my responses on this i could be wrong.

I don't really know the video game arena, more the animation world. There are a lot of variables when pitching an idea. First off is age. I don't know how old you are, but judging by your screen name, you could be a teenager. I'm not saying this is too young and that you should give up, just work around it. Get someone you trust, like your dad, an older brother, or cousin, to help present this to the company. But I'm getting ahead of myself. What you need to do is research the company you want to pitch your game to. Find their company's phone number and call them up. Ask to speak to the head of project development. Ask them what would be the proper way to go about submiting a game idea. By the way, have several pens and paper handy to wirte all this info down. Get the Secretary's name when you first call, and the names and positions of all the people you talk to. When you talk to the person who is in charge of new games ask them what format they want idea in, on a CD, typed paper, etc. Don't email them ideas, they will get lost. And don't get suckered into telling them your idea over the phone. Ask the person for their direct line so you can call him or her if you have any more questions.

Remember, their jobs are to get new ideas and games. They all want to be the person who finds the next Mario Bros, Final Fantasy, game. So they will be helpful to you. If they aren't, then you don't want your game made at that company anyway.

Alittle all over the place, but I think I got everything in there.

Aloha,
The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

also..besides what ape said...

Hey,
also you may want to check out gamasutra which is basically a game dev site (not to mention Garage games) but they may be in a better position to give you the heads up on how to get the idea in..Ive actually expressed intrest in this same thing only to be told that MOST (Not all by any means) game companies develop ideas from within the company or the parent orginization as they are sometimes basically startups that have been bought by bigger game entities (Nintendo, Atari, Microsoft, ect..) And then there is the indie route which may be the most painful and difficult way to go about it but you could certainly have control of your own vision and not some corporate bigwig telling what will work? (which may or may not be true???) You can actually buy a 3d game engine from garage games called the torque engine which is like less than $200 bucks with a whole website full of support and fellow developers..
swankaman

may I just add...

Hi, I don't think anyone has mentioned copyright yet, but that may be something that you need to look into. I don't know how likely it is that a company would steal your idea...but best to prevent it, I think.

Good luck with it! Let us know how things go! :)

Thank you guys for your hepl! And I am 25 years old.

Amy nailed it. I was in a talk with Stratton Leopold the other day and he said THE MOST important thing to do when you're pitching your idea around is to *copyright* it before you send it to *anyone*. People will not hesistate to try to steal your idea if you don't have a copyright.