Search form

Working as a 2D animator im still a minor

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Working as a 2D animator im still a minor

I've been working in animation with some older friends one who has a degree in tv production i think ne way i was wondering how i could posibly get a job as a 2D animator. I am still in highschool and have been told over and over that i could never work in advertising because i dont have a degree in design.

In the event that i was able to get get clients iw ould be the only 2d animator in my area, to my knolage. I happen to be in an art program where senior year we get to go out into the field of our choice with a profetional as our class and all of our assignments are bassed on the work we do in that field. my problem is only area i can get in wont take me seriously. and the other problem is they are either 3d or film which i have tried befor but only made the director mad because my ideas seemed to be liked more by the clients.

I was wondering if there are any pointers for a young gun to try and make some extra cash doing what i love.

Well, you've got a rare situation.

Usually, folks with the talent get work. Its often as simple as that. Degrees and certificates are meaningless if the person doesn't have talent.

What you might be facing is not a skills issue, but a maturity one. there's a common ( and often correct) percpetion that ateenager is not always the most mature of individuals. No longer a child, not yet an adult, there's a lot of isses about growing that a teen wrstles with, adding job responsibilities to that isn't always a good fit, and employers can see that.
You are likely not being taken seriously because the perception is that teens will flake out.
The questions likely running through prospective employers minds are:
Will this kid bail on me during a deadline--will he show up on time?
Will he meet his deadlines?
Will he cop excuses when it comes to being responsible for getting work done?
Will the kid use his status as a minor to wiggle out of being culpable if he screws up.

The ultimate worry as employer has is: Is there an issue with hiring you because of your age--and can they be liable for that?

Working professionally is not often fun. Its often hard, and standards must be held to, esspecially if its for a paying client. It might seem like its fun, but when dollars start getting put on the line, people and their modds change fast.

My advice is, keep the drawing happening, but finish out school and such.
Make the choice to get into the biz after you graduate and become the age of majority.
Its far to easy as a teen to get caught up in wanting to do this now. You can benefit more in the long run with more life experience under your belt.

--Ken

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)