Search form

Nerds on Call

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nerds on Call

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around much. I quit my day job at a small 3D modeling company. The company is basically dying, with no work for anyone to do and unreliable paychecks. Sooooo..... I am going to do flash animation and illustration full time from home! It's going very well so far. Here is an animation that I just completed for a client. This is a 30 second commercial that is airing on TV currently in Northern California. It's gotten a great response. In fact, people have been calling up the TV station trying to find out who animated it so they can hire them for their business!

Enjoy!

http://www.starwarsspoofs.com/portfolio/nerds.html

bluehickey's picture
Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Great work Bluehickey. It's great to know that you were able to bounce back so quickly. Did the company provide you with the voice talent or did you have to do that yourself? Keep up the great work as always.

Aloha,
The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

awesome

That is way cool that you came back so fast and being noticed. Your commercial is very well done too, gratz with all the success man! :)

Thanks guys!
The voices were provided by Andy, who also did the voices on the Carbonite Confusion cartoon. The client didn't have anyone lined up for voices, so I suggested Andy. Andy also did all of the sound efx. He always does a top notch job and makes my work look 10 times better!

That's great Blue. How are you finding your client base?

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I bet, by the time this thread is through, we'll have exhausted the entire thesaurus for all words related to 'Wonderful.' Did you write it, too?

The best part is that it's an effective commercial.

Well, in the past all my clients have come from visitors to my spoofs site. I just started on Monday actually bidding out for jobs on www.elance.com. I've gotten a great response and just won one job, and am in the lead for another one.

And yes, I actually did 'write' it. Well, the client asked that Andy and I come up with a bunch of ideas for the commercial. Andy came up with a bunch of great ones, and I only came up with one idea, but it was chosen!

Thanks guys!
The voices were provided by Andy, who also did the voices on the Carbonite Confusion cartoon. The client didn't have anyone lined up for voices, so I suggested Andy. Andy also did all of the sound efx. He always does a top notch job and makes my work look 10 times better!

Yes, but remember: your animation makes my voice work sound better as well. :) It's a symbiotic relationship, really. ;) (And thanks, as always, for your kind words.)

ab

abvox: Voice and Sound Design Services
abVoices.com

Hey, very funny.
Great animation. Simple and effective.
I like your avathar a lot, Mr. Jones. It reminds me of the Cruzadas

Hey Andy, I knew you'd find your way to this thread! Ha!

Blue just saw it on air. The 530 area code made me wonder... and the 242 prefix that's Redding California...35 miles north of me. Looked great. Congrats again.

Maybe sometime you'll prepare a tutorial for making this stuff network compatible.

im a nerd then :P

LOL! That's a very funny and very memorable spot. Nice work! :D

Nathanael Fuller
----
Online Portfolio: www.fulleranimation.com
Demo Reel: www.fulleranimation.com/video/Reel_Hi.mov

Very nice!

Well if the jock wouldn't leave food and soda around his pc he'd be ok.

Blue just saw it on air. The 530 area code made me wonder... and the 242 prefix that's Redding California...35 miles north of me. Looked great. Congrats again.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you saw it on TV phacker!!!! That is so cool! The client has seen it on tv too and reports that the "nerd flurry" when he repairs the computer doesn't play at speed on TV. I guess the tv station took the .swf and converted it somehow. I was hoping they would use the .avi or .mov file I had created that doesn't have a problem with playback speed. Oh well, I"ll know for next time.

As far as making the flash movie network compatible, I just found my info from a link that you posted months and months ago. I think the link was flickerlab.com? I'm not sure, but they had a title safe template that you could download to make sure you're not working out of the area that the tv screen will see. That's really all I paid attention too. Hopefully in the next month or so, I'll get to animate another commercial for Nerds on Call!

Why am I not surprised?

'Cuz bluehickey did it, that's why!

Your little extra's in the animation do not go un-noticed! Great stuff as always!

Try giving the TV stations a Beta (or Digi-Beta), that way they can't mess it up, unless they're complete idiots...which is always possible! (Charge the client for the tapes, too!)

Do you have Flash MX? If so go "File", "New From Template", choose "Broadcast" then "Create"...and poof! A TV title-safe template @30fps, 720x540 like magic!

Your stuff rocks!

Splatman :D

I've seen it several times now, and I think they may have worked on the timing issue because it looks good to me.

Hey thanks Splats, for that cool flash tip!

I've seen it several times now, and I think they may have worked on the timing issue because it looks good to me.

That's a relief! The client said that the commercial is going to run 55 times for 1 month. It's going to play during:
The Price is Right
Oprah
Dr. Phil
Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy
and some kind of reality show in the evenings.
So Phacker, get ready to see it so much that your sick of it (or use Nerds on calls services hopefully)! Ha!

I am a fan of Dr. Phil's that's probably when I've been seing it.

haha thats pretty sweet man! Good Luck

Bad

...and great characters, too!