Search form

Father of the pride

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Father of the pride

Saw it last night, before Scrubs. Could not believe what they are getting away with. Not that I disaprove, I do not. It's just the stigma of American tv.

anyway. I thought that at nearly 2 million bucks an episode they might be able to keep the animation in California at least North America. I guess not.

http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=319b255d&atype=articles&id=2213

That's fine. I thought it would be a little longer before 3D work would be shuffled off to asia.

You know what this means?!

Now we have to find some way of being so good, so much better an investment, that maybe the fragging studios wont try killing our work.

there's always indipendant stuff.

But the show? I thought it was funny. The Flamingo with the breath spray was a great gag. Carl Reiner was a scream. Animation was alot like the stiff stuff used in Shrek 2 (well, most of Shrek 2). Maybe they sent THAT over seas too. I consider myself an nice open minded fellow--but I can tell you that the studio and network are going to have confused folks. The edgey dialogue with the cute animals... it's overdone anyway but viewers will still get caught off guard.

MicahToons's picture
ciao, MicahToons "Giggety-giggety-giggety-giggety-giggety-Gah!" ~Glen Quaggmire. (Family Guy)

ciao,
MicahToons

"Giggety-giggety-giggety-giggety-giggety-Gah!"
~Glen Quaggmire. (Family Guy)

I personally like the concept of a 3D primetime series - but overall I wasn't very impressed with the show as a whole. Sure, the characters were ok as far as design goes, but animation was for me, a couple steps back from where we were with Nemo and Shrek.
But the biggest bummer was how not funny i thought it was. I never laughed out loud once and saw pretty much every cliche-of-a-joke coming long before the punchline. It was stale in terms of story and I was confused as to what the intended the target audience was. At times the jokes seemed to relate to adolescent kids - yet the story line was more for adults. Hopefully future episodes will include better writing and jokes that don't seem obviously written by a middle-aged writer living his own life vicariously through a cartoon. At least, this is how the sense of humour sounded like to me.
I just watched Finding Nemo and was reminded of what "funny" really is and what a well-done 3D animation really looks like. Father of the Pride just seemd to look like it was still in need of 1 or 2 more lighting renderings - it looked unfinished to me at times.

I wasn't too impressed with it either. I didn't laugh one bit. I was also disappointed with the 'behind the scenes' section at the end. It didn't show much. And do they really take 9 months to make each episode??? That seems really long. Are they counting pre-production into that figure? If they're not, I certainly don't think this venture is going to pay off for them. 9 months per episode? And it's not even that good! The animation was decent. I wasn't expecting to see Toy Story- or Shrek-quality animation since it is a TV show.

And that is disappointing that it is mostly animated overseas. So many new animated shows yet no jobs! I'm never going to get a job in this industry.

2-D animation will never die. The invention of photography did not kill painting. Why would animation be any different?
Dancing Cavy Productions
http://dancingcavy.deviantart.com

I agree, the humor was kind of weak and predictable. The show could probably be a winner if they'd get some wittier writers perhaps.

"Animation [on fotp] was alot like the stiff stuff used in Shrek 2 (well, most of Shrek 2)."

i think you need to take another look.

All I've seen so far is a small image of the cast of characters in 'Entertainment Weekly' magazine, and I just laughed and shaked my head as I threw the magazine away in disgust. I especially thought it was funny how Katzenberg green-lit the series without even looking at anything; he thinks everyone will love it because we will think "Oh, look, those are the guys who did 'Shrek,' this show is gonna be funny; let's watch it." Think again, dummy.:rolleyes:

I've seen two episodes now, and I am not impressed. Storylines are contrived and the animation is really jerky in areas and obvious shortcuts and computer generated stock tweens are being used in areas where it just makes you want to say ouch.

I'd rather watch King of the Hill.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I've seen two episodes now, and I am not impressed. Storylines are contrived and the animation is really jerky in areas and obvious shortcuts and computer generated stock tweens are being used in areas where it just makes you want to say ouch.

i agree 100%.
the "jokes" are an insult to my "intelligence". They simply are not funny. The line from the Father concerning waking up in the dentist's chair and seeing the dentist buckling his pants was just not funny - how about jokes that are from an animal's perspective? these jokes are written by someone who simply has an terrible sense of what is funny. I keep waiting to laugh and instead sit in awe as to how something like this show can get made when there are so many better shows out there by independant animators who deserve it so much more.
oh well. i could only watch 1/2 of the 2nd episode - that was my $1,000,000 worth :(

And the sad thing is... I thought the "dentist chair" joke was probably the wittiest line in the whole episode. Think I'll start turning on the tube a half hour later for Scrubs.

Amen to that, man. The animation on King of the Kill may be a bit creaky, but the stories are true-to-life, and just plain funny. Not "laugh till your sides hurt" funny, but "warm fuzzy feeling I know what they mean" kind of funny. You can just relate to the show.

Oh and Scrubs is great too--Turk is soooo freakin' cute....:D

I've become rather fond of the characters on King of the Hill, don't think I'll ever feel that way about Father of the Pride.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.