Search form

One drawing from today - Maybe a new character?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
One drawing from today - Maybe a new character?

I spent 1 hour drawing about 50 thumbnails of a duck. Suddenly, I drawed this. I have no idea of what the connection might be.

Wonder if anyone could help me baptize the lady and think of a story for her.

Attachment 

Her name is Lavender Leather, leader of an elite band of female outlaw motorcyclists, called LadyChant, who live on the road giving hope to the hopeless, friend to the friendless, and freedom to those stuck in a rut.

They frequent the highways of the great midwest, frequently venturing as far west as the rockies, as far east as the appalachians, as far south as the gulf, and as far north as the great lakes, though several of their members hail from Canada and often visit and return from there with hope, promise, and necessary goods from duty free shops along the border.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Posting from the Black Hills of South Dakota, 'Lavender" would have to be baptized at the Sturgis Rally!

Thanks you guys for the input, it's been fun :)

I did some more tests on Flash. Later I'll try to draw her inside the story context Rupert developed.

Veeeery rough sketch... I mean, it looked worse because of vectoring, but I wanted to test something on Flash.

I tried to draw directly on Flash but it didn't pay off. I'll keep doing it with pencils and then trace it with a pen. Too bad the one I was using for it is dry now, I'll buy a new one later.

That's pretty cool Daniel!

And Bird, I hail from another biker mecca, Hollister, where the Wild One happened and was shot.

Y' really ought to check out my site, Cartoon Thunder since it features some cartoons about bikers. Actuall, you don't really see them much yet except in one clip of them riding, found on the toons page.

If you need some help with some bike drawings to put Lavender on, I'd be glad to help out or give some pointers. I've been drawing Harleys for a long time. Frankly, we need a few lady characters at Cartoon Thunder, and my females always seem to come out lookin' like dudes in drag. Sorta worries me, actually, but... Anyway maybe we could work something out. Email me if y'like.

Cartoon Thunder

That´d be great, man. I never really have the time to develop my characters and concepts, but if we work together we might get something going on.

Animation coop rocks!

I studied a little Harley design back when I was kid because I had a comic book character who rode them too, so I still remember a little bit of it :) Today I´m more curious about older bikes and different brands like Triumph and such. I´ll do some more research.

I tried to model her in 3d to make it easier to make a series, but failed completely :) maybe some other time... but until there we can keep doing things in 2d, it might work.

About the women design, I still pretty much suck at it, but I´m working hard to improve that. This drawing grew up out of that. I still think my female drawings are too archetipical, they look like "a woman drawn by a man". At least it´s not "a man in drag" anymore, but I´m still far away from where I want to get :)

I think this problem is very natural and common: most women draw men who look like sissies!

Playing around with Illustrator...

Attachment 

Hi Daniel... looks like we're both here at the same time!

The Illustrator shot looks good.

The Co-op does rock! The San Jose CA chapter has its first meeting tonight. I'm sorta doing a few things to get ready right now.

My ability to draw bikes comes from having built mine years ago and having taken it apart (alas) and put it back together a few times since. Right now it's gathering dust.

Might be fun if we could work out a cameo role for Lavender Leather to show up sometime in my cartoon. I suspect Noodles (the tall dumb guy) will fall in love for her (not with her, that takes two and she's way to smart for him) while she'll put Shorty, my control freak, right in his place. I'm getting a few ideas right now, actually. I'll email you.

Cartoon Thunder

lavender leather

As I post, I can hear the roar of thousands of bikes-it's a treat to see all the makes and graphics! Rupertpiston-I visited your site, great sense of humor, i look forward to Shorty's and Noodle's escapades. I can easily see you and Daniel collaborating on 'Lavender Leather'. A bit off-point, but I think you guys should set up a booth in sturgis. :) Bird

A booth in Sturgis? I didn´t get it... %)

Sorry Daniel, I just noticed you're posting from Brazil. Sturgis is a small town in the northern foothills of the Black Hills of South Dakota. I'm not completely sure of the biker history (Rupertpiston could probably give you better facts than I), but I know that a group of bikers called the Jackpines (?) started a rally race many years ago and the gathering has grown up around that tradition. As many as 1 million bikers converge on the town (and Black hills area)every August. It's one hugh party. By the booth comment, I meant merchandising-I can see Lavender Leather having a committed following!

Absolutely right, Bird. I think the first one was in 1939. The run was interrupted by World War II and, as you know, draws an awful lot of people. This year in Hollister we were reputed to have had something in excess of 100,000. My bike is down so I walked downtown for the festivities.

I'm planning on having a booth at a number of rallies when I release my cartoon on DVD.

I was so inspired by Lavender that I drew a couple of females as well. And I have always been pretty lame at that. If I can figure out how to post the sketch here, I'll do that later today. If nothing else I'll post it on my site.

Cartoon Thunder

Sounds like a huge fucking party! :)))

Rupe, just scan them down to a 39k size and, after writing your post, click on a button way down there called "Manage Attachments":

I've come up with several drawings, but for now I'll just post this one. The others are on my web site.
She clearly has a few issues of proportion in a few places, but it is a rough for now.

Cartoon Thunder

Here's a scene with some bikes from the sequence I'm working on now. I have only a few more days of summer vacation before I go back to my life as a mild mannered high school english teacher. Fortunately, I live in a town where scooters is important too.

I also need to include the riders of these two bikes screen left, where they're reading a menu and just said something the red bike, Mac, finds offensive.

Attachment 

Cartoon Thunder