Search form

SHOWREEL:VHS or DVD?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SHOWREEL:VHS or DVD?

Hi,

I am a graduate in Animation who is preparing her showreel and portfolio. I´ve done a three minute film and I was wondering whether to put in in VHS or DVD.

My teacher in Southampton Institute suggestet that Animation Studios still prefer VHS instead of CD or DVD. There is also the problem that not all the Studios might have a DVD player(?). But the presentation in a DVD is much better. Also, I have some graphic design work which I like to include in my application. Then I could fit it all in the DVD and do a nice presentation. Instead of sending a VHS and a CD.

Anyone who could help?

Thank you! :)

Hey, don´t worry about sending VHS tapes... they want to see your animation, not your DVD menus :)

It´s also safer, you can´t go wrong with it. Just put, play, zip, done. No region, no scratch, no nothing.

Whatever you send make sure it's short represents your best work and make sure it's well presented.

When I receive show reels from animators you would be amazed at the poor quality of presentation. Hand written letters, covers and labeling. Take some time and spend a bit of money on getting a professional looking package. It's yourself and your talents you are selling and it's a buyers market, so make yourself stand out.

When I send out our studio reel to clients it's always on CR-ROM with a easy to use splash screen which self boots on both PC and MAC. This way I can pretty much guarantee that the people I'm sending it to will be able to view it. Not everyone has a video or DVD player in the office/studio everyone has access to a computer of some kind.

Good luck

The Brothers McLeod
[SIZE=2]brothersmcleod.co.uk[/SIZE]

showreel

Thank you both for your answer!

I guess for my case the CD option is best cause I also have some graphic design work.

But Grega, what programme do you think is best to use to out together this presentation?(After Eff, Director...??)

And what format is best to save it?(for Macs and PCs).

I really appreciate your help. This forum is great.

Addition question: how do you create autorun CDs for MacOS?