Search form

Sketchapades...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sketchapades...

I haven't posted here in deca- er... yea-... I mean months. (fiddlestick5)

I figured I'd post my progress on a recent project... I'm pretty lazy, so it's nowhere close to finished. But here they are.

Here's the first one: Sketchapades

Here's the second one, which is actually just a revision of the first one, only it actually contains the first one in its entirety in the beginning.. you get the point - Sketchapades Revised (LinyR)

Let it be known: I'm well aware that my toons are devoid of stoping/loading (except for LinyR)/ and whatever actions. Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Comments... criticism, it's all good.

Also, note: The LinyR toon is extremely unfinished.. so the flashing, Skippy spit blobs and whatnot are sort of... crappy.

man, that is so cool. very fluid i think. i liked the music on the first version better than the second one tho. very nice :D

Agreed

The fluid thing works for you.........bring back the original music -please-...

And stay at that speed if you can..........moderate pace will make it more interesting and more sincere........if I hadn't already seen all the shots in the first one I would've missed a third of them at the second's berserker rate (in comparison)

neat-o

hey fiddlestick, that was quite intriguing! I actually watched the 2nd one first since you said it had the first one in it anyways... so I didn't know the pace or music was different from the original til you got some comments! ... But my first reaction to your 2nd version was that it could be a metaphor for thoughts and how fast images in your head just flash in front of you... thought maybe that was something you were trying to convey, although I probably watched it about 20 times to try and catch everything! ... even tried stopping in the middle and going frame by frame through certain sections! ... it would have been much easier to just watch the first one, since it was definitely more clear and could see what was going on. Ultimately, I have to say that I liked your first version the best. The song in the 2nd one is pretty cool, and may even work if you use the more moderate paced visuals, but the whole vibe of the first one seems to fit the piece better. And I like the end of the first one... did you cut that ending out completely or just using it later on in the piece?? Also, what music did you use? Both songs seemed to grow on me... they gave your piece different personalities is all. It looks awesome in any case, hope to see it when it's finished! :cool:

"i love the graph editor"
[ChrisMagovern.com]
and visit me on myspace...

You're sort of right, devil_3d, it's kind of a peering into my minds eye, my thoughts tend to be disorderly and near impossible to reproduce tangibly... I'm actually going to have the revision end with a shot panning out from live brain tissue in a Petri dish... if that makes any sense.

Also, devil/gambo, The song in the first one is Thingy - "pony" They're a great band, though not all their stuff is quite as melodious. If you liked thingy, I'd strongly suggest Pinback, Systems officer, and (some) heavy vegetable..

The second song is artist unknown for me... though you could easily find out by checking the "Requiem for a Dream" sound track, it's titled "party"

Scatterlogical - The second one is going to recap everything in the first one, so I just kind of wanted the original to fly by and then have the second, clearer-more polished one start, also the music's going to change and transition betweens songs a lot (considering the song in the second one is actually only a 30 second song)... also, the second one's revision part has only just begun... but it's still 190 or so frames... which is like half of the first one in its entirety...

Thank you's all for the feedback... its' kind of refreshing, considering the boards I usually post on seem to be gradually dying.

hellllllllllllllllllllllllllo fiddlestickTOTHEMAX

i watched your pieces , and , wow..
they were really nice

it reminds me a lot of what i use to do( letting it all out like that, straight into the wacom )
but.. with a lot more refinements than what i'd ever been able to do

i'd have two suggestions.
one..
decide WHY you are doing this
meaning..
is it for you just a way to let go, let your imagnation run loose , or just vent ...in which case , you could go even ore crazy..
second.. if you are doing it to show someone , try to have at least some sort of " visual comprehension" built into it

what i mean is this as human beeings we have a tendency to follow stories/evolutions of idea in motion
it's just a natural thing our brains do
when we see a bunch of images .. we try to find links between them..
making the comprehensionof each image depend a lot on the one we have just seen..
so..
when you show so many images, and they don't "obviously" have a clear connection.. you rbrain takes longer to process each of them

it basically goes..
ok..i've just seen a puppet falling from the sky what could that be from??
a space ship a..
oh.. what's this ??
a piece of glass .. puppet glass.. what's the connecti..
flower>??
was that a flower hey wait aminu..oooh.. i missed that..argggghh wait wait ...

and by the time you get back up to speed .. you've missed a bunch of images

it's not that each one is hard to see..
it's just that in a series, going so fast.. they are hard to read

other than that
you're doing great!!
keep it up!

i love it!
P.

Thanks for the feedback, pascal, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Yeah, the quickness seems to be a reoccurring problem in my animations... but that's where the Second one comes in... it's nowhere near finished, I just thought I'd give a small sample of what exactly I'm going to do with it.

... and as to why, I sort of touched on it in my last post.. it's really just meant to be a flutter of consciousness... that's why it's going to end with a live piece of brain tissue being stimulated in a petridish... In non pretentious terms- it's completely random... which I guess is sort of a reflection of what goes on in my mind.

I’d also like to add: I saw a few of your animations a few threads below me, and I gotta say, they're awesome. You've got such a fluent/aesthetic style, and like others commented- it looks as if you had lots of fun doing them.

nice:)

I dunno, I kinda liked the music in the 2nd one more. Totally agreed on the pacing. The rhythm is definitely there in both pieces, but the readablity of everything is not clear enough at high speed.

Pascal makes a really good point about "evolution", and he's right. We do tend to connect ideas from one to the next. Randomness just doesn't cut the mustard. The thoughts that you illustrate in a piece like this feel like they should somehow connect...but I --I just couldn't do it:(

It's pretty to look at in both cases, and I think you're on to something...but
What is it?
I definitely want to know. You didn't just make this up. You had something in mind.

L8r,

Thank you

Nope, I pretty much made it up. I’m not very good at holding a single thought for extended amounts of time, and I usually try my damndest to make sensical animations… I figured this was a handicap, so I thought I’d just let go and basically the animation draw itself.

As for the plot, or whatever… like I said, it’s basically just a live piece of brain being stimulated in… blah blah blah. I was inspired by some confounded article about scientists who grew brain cells on a micro chip. I always wondered, what sort of crazy intangible thoughts went on inside of that living piece of tissue. After all, it was conscious, the brain... thingy's, or whatever the hell, were firing…

Anyways, I know what you mean about being hard to follow, as lame as this excuse sounds, it’s suppose to be hard to follow in the second one, because it’ll just end up being shown all over again at 24 frames per second, and in super slow motion (At some points).

Id like to see..

What you and pascal could come up if you had the chance to work together!I like these!You both have some experience in this type of work from what Ive seen..something to consider one day?Cool stuff.It reminds me of some of those avatars with the stickmen morphing out like crazy..
swankaman

yeah..lol.. like some sort of exquisite corpse??
you know.. someome starts one pice, and the other takes over??
Or .. someone throws out a theme..
and we both do it as we see it??
better even..
the good guy and the bad guy..
same event's happening... but seen through the eyes/brains of either side..
each creaator does one side of the same story..

the possibilities are endless!!

P.

Heh, I sort of left this sitting a while back... but I'll respond as if I hadn't.

heh, like a battle? You do 5 seconds- I do 5 seconds... and so on until we have like a minute of pure unadulterated badassity (someones doing the same thing on another forum... only it's taking forever to get passed around)..

Also, I'd like to say that I'm fickle/lazy- so I haven't touched sketchapades in over a month.. I still intend on working on it, but I'm putting it aside for now.

I have started on something new: it's the progress on my latest Sleeky cartoon, which I intend to finish: here

hey fiddlestick...
hadn't seen that last post you had up there..
haven't been here in a while myself..

that would be very fun actually..
Once i'm over the hump on my project, i'd gladly start something !!
P.

Really cool stuff. I'm curious as to your methods-- looks like flash--did you do all the line work in the computer or what? Did you animate to the music or get the music to support your animation?

Great stuff. I teach two periods of beginning multimedia (mostly to freshmen) and will share this with them at some point.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Thanks,
Yeah, I sort of just roughed it out in flash using my wacom- and the music was added later to support it.

hey , fiddlestick to the max ..
out of curiosity.. at what frame ratedo you work?
what is the image size you use..
do you have any special prefeences you want to suggest?

just, you know, out of curiosity..
P.

Canvas de fiddle

550X300 at 12fps (Though I'm down with 24 fps) white bg... Standard really. Don't really have any special preferences.

good toknow!!
lol