Search form

Slighty Off-Topic: A Question Of Authenticity

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slighty Off-Topic: A Question Of Authenticity

I received my RC 1 copy of Gremlins 2 on DVD today. However, not being too experienced in matters of counterfeit, I'd like to ask you to help me here as I'm not yet 100%ly sure I got a legal copy.

I bought the disc over eBay from a DVD dealer in Malaysia. Of course, the country it was sent from made me a teeny-tiny tad suspicious but they had 3000+ recommendations and when I sent them an email, they replied to it promptly and in English. Payment, shipping and handling - everything went smoothly.
Now, the item I received today was properly wrapped in what appeared to be its original foil - definitely not hand-wrapped or previously opened. Unwrapping it, I had a first closer look at the case's jacket. It's a colour print of Warner Bros. official DVD jacket of Gremlins 2 on glossy, quality paper. The pictures are bit blurred and the colours slightly smudged, the text on it is clear, though. There are no holograms or stickers on it or the case. I don't know whether Warner Bros. sticks those on their American and Canadian DVDs as certificates of authenticity like Disney does. A note on the front cover labels the DVD a Dual Layer Collector's Series 9 disc and there's an ISBN number and bar code printed on the other side.
Inside the case, I found the disc not on its pegs but inside a CD-Link plastic jacket in which it rests on a cotton pad to protect its underside. Even though the disc fits onto the pegs, I'm wondering whether genuine Warner DVDs sometimes come in those extra jackets. Also, there was no commercial flier or inlay with a chapter list.
The disc itself is a DVD, not a video CD, and includes all the menues, features, subtitles and languages that are supposed to be on it. The movie quality is satisfying as the movie was remastered for DVD, only some of the extra material which was shot more than ten years ago when the movie first came to theatres was left in its original state and therefore looks like something taped during the early 90s. The print on the disc is of the same quality as the jacket - no cheap paper label out of a PC colour printer but slightly blurred just like the jacket, also with the appropriate copyright notes on it.

So far, so good - but I'm wondering whether the slightly below average printing quality and the fact that there were no inlays of any kind inside the case merely points to the fact that Warner decided to save some money - or that those fellows from Malaysia sold me a very professionally done bootleg copy ...

Incidental

What happens when you run that ISBN....?

Well, since it appears to be an exact scan of one of Warner's legal editions, I doubt it'd come up with anything but the genuine movie's title.
I did some other cross-checks in the meantime, though, and I think it's becoming more and more obvious they sent me a bootleg. It's a pretty professionally done one, though - the DVD isn't just burned, it's pressed yet it skips almost imperceptibly when playing so it isn't 'perfect'.
Anyway, we'll just see what eBay has to say about this. The nerve of those vendors - they've been members for more than two years now and of the fourteen negative comments they got so far (I dug a little deeper than the first time), only three or four complain about counterfeit discs. Are all the other 3000 just stupid or content with their cheap, bootleg discs?

So, don't buy from member disc4u38 if you want originals!

I didn't know with the quality of the print/pictures being different if it might have been a "professionally" done lookalike, and when they were finished and wanted to slap one on (knowing it'd never see the light of register-scan or anything like that) they coulda put any old thing ie dead giveaway...

Just contributing...

Much appreciated.

By the by that avatar rocks.... =)