Search form

people dressing up at a comic con. why?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
people dressing up at a comic con. why?

someone please tell me why people do this. i understand that it's fun (who doesn't enjoy halloween?) but these costumes are really quite remarkable and have obviously taken a lot of time to create. for what do people obsess over to look like a fictional character?

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=9033&si=&page=1&sort=1&perpage=9&ppuser=&stype=0

Mouhahahahahahaha!!!!

I was wondering the same thing. I suppose that between episodes of Star Trek - The Next Generation, matches of Dungeons and Dragons, and popping zits, these people have nothing better to do with their time than to prepare for next year's comic con.

(I am sure this will not be popular, as I am positive that some mebers here are actually featured in the photo gallery. hehehe... Sorry)

What kills me is that some of these girls in the photos are actually cute. Weird... Must have personality disorders...

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but people are social animals, we like to be part of a group (even anarchists are members of a group). To me, their (the convention-goers) 'dressing up as fictional characters' seems no more bizarre than 500,000 leather-clad bikers at a rally, shriners wearing tasseled caps, nudists at a nudist camp-it's a group uniform! I don't know about you, but I get a far different experience watching a film on a screen amongst 100's of my peers than seeing it alone in a room-and i'm not talking about the formal differences in size, sound, etc., and I' not talking about mob mentality, I think its...its...appreciating a shared human experience :eek: And NO, I didn't attend the convention, I'm just a DEFENDER OF FREE WILL, DAMMIT :rolleyes: Bird

...and, ah, Wonder Woman, total fraud...for I AM WONDER WOMAN :D

Some people just like to dress up and roleplay, whether in videogames like The Sims or at fantasy conventions or on the stage and screen. More power to them, especially the girls in the pixie outfits :p

What about you guys? Do you dress up in a special way when you come here to the forum?

---

I did a workshop last week and I felt a little of an outsider at the group because everybody seemed to know each other and I didn't know anyone. I was sitting alone on a corner with my regular "I look like this because I'm sleepy and bored, but people look at me and think I'm evil and hate the world" face, and the woman who was translating Tim Hill's speech turned to me and totally dimantled me by saying "aawww, how cute, look at his Charlie Brown notepad!!"

I think it's nice to have this kind of conversation starters, specially in meetings like this. Wearing a t-shirt with a character in it also helps.

But if I went to the workshop dressed up like Charlie Brown, what would they say?

---

In case someone's wondering, yes, I did have a Charlie Brown outfit. Now I only have the t-shirt.

i find it quite cool to dress up like your beloved character once in a year/months.

change is always good ;)

Visit my site http://www.animdesk.com

I want a fairy just like that one...she's a perdy womym! Can I have one?

yummy!

Adam

She has her shit to-[b]gether!
[/b]
I'm talkin bout hip... hop... pow!

Boomin' system up top in the back!

* very obscure Beastie Boys reference

Hoohah!

I was cool with it until Batman's.....little Batman....went...er...Beyond... Not my fave pic, but it is reassuring to know that the life of a superhero is as exciting as we all predicted...

As easy as it is to make fun of these cats... ya gotta admit there's some great talent and creativity being put into those outfits! Speakin of cats... meeeeeeeeeeow!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=174078&sort=1&cat=9033&page=51

I make fun of them because I'm envious, some of those outfits are really great. These guys should be hired to make the character's movies. Like, remember that "Batman: Dead End" short? It's way better than all post-60's Batman movies together and plus! Specially his outfit!

Nobody cares more than a real fan.

Have you given some thought to the idea that in fact, we DO dress different to come to this forum? In a way, yes. That's what you do when you create your avatar instead of just putting yor photo there. :p I still haven't decided on mine, by the way.