Search form

Request for advice

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Request for advice

Since everyone else seems to do this in these forums, I'll give it a shot: I'll ask for advice.

I've been studying graphic design for six months, and I've been drawing since I was 10, so I consider myself already a pretty good drawer and, since I practice constantly like you all recommend, I guess I'll be getting better over the years -that would mean, if I'm correct, that I have the basic skill needed to be an animator. I have also read as much theory as It's been possible, so I know certain basic things, but only in theory...

I'm 18 years old and one of my problems is that I live in a country where there's no industry, nvertheless, I still want to do animation. My BIG problem it's that I simply don't know how to start. I have no idea of what are the charachteristics a draw must have in order to be fitable for animation (I understand there are rules for this), I don't know how to use flash, or maya, or 3dMax, or any of those things (I'm still learning how to use photoshop!!) and everyone insists on telling me I have to wait until I finish my studies on design before moving onto animation (I don't even know if that's a good advice). My question would be not only how to begin, how to actually PRACTICE animation, but also, if I DO need to be really good in computer programming before starting.

I'll be waiting for your answers...

David Metzen

TIMING is the more "basic skill needed to be an animator," n'est pas? That is to say, you can have minimal drawing skills (like Doug Hertzfeldt or the people who do some of those Adult Swim shows or the South Park boys) while still being a productive animator.

The finish-your-design-education advice sounds like crap to me. It sounds like the kind of advice you'd get from people who aren't animators. Design is important, but you can learn animation design more effectively in animation classes.

You might want to download the Flash demo version and see if it's something you enjoy doing. Then you want to decide whether to stay with 2D or if you'd prefer doing 3D or stop-motion or whatever.

Still confused

Thanks for your words Harvey Human, I'm beggining to understand myself that drawing like a 17th century artist is not the biggest requirement to become an animator, it's just that I don't see myself doing very 'cartoonish' stuff, If you know what I mean... I'd love to do very well drawn animation... Not comedy or stuff like that ('cause I lack a sense of humor)... Or perhaps I'm just being naive and that's all that there is in the animation industry. I don't know. :confused:

Anyway, I have one more issue: 1) let's say that I don't want to begin animating with computers, what should I do then?

Thanks again.

David:

I'd try to get a few books on animation if I were you. Walter Foster's text books are great places to start (google for 'em on the web). Larry has the tooninstitute which will also be really good to start out with (it's off the awn.com site). Start out with these areas, and always keep reading. Another great book is the Animator's Toolkit. It's a must-have book, in my opinion.

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

let's say that I don't want to begin animating with computers, what should I do then?

You can make some flip books to see if you enjoy the process.

Or you can buy some animation paper and a peg bar.

You should probably check out some how-to books.

here are a few web resources

Hello.

Here are a few web resources...

www.karmatoons.com animation drawing
www.awn.com/tooninstitute free animation lessons (my site)
www.vilppustudio.com great drawing
www.animationmeat.com lectures, modelsheets,downloads
www.conceptart.org look under tutorials for life drawing tips
www.fineart.sk - free figure references and the Loomis book - online
www.toonhub.com/links/artists.htm look under animators there are links to 643 on one page.

www.10secondclub.org - monhly animation contest and tutorials.

Keep drawing- observational drawing - it helps!

Thanks.