Search form

animation studio

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
animation studio

Can someone explain to me the difference between an animation studio and a service studio? Thank you.

Ultimately, depends on the studio, on the service agency.

Everyone draws the line elsewhere. Some full-service production studios outsource everything but management, others keep everything in-house.

I would interpret a 'service house' as being a limited offering - a 'studio' as being full-fledged, either pure production or coupled with content development. A boutique might be full-production but specialized on smaller, design-centric projects.

Etc.

Helpful?

Thanks

I have a few follow up questions. I am very new to this industry and I wanted to know if you have a cartoon idea and you take it to a studio do they buy it from you or do you develop the concept with them. Would it be possible if you had enough money to go to a studio to produce it and use there connects to get to the networks. If you could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

Generally speaking, an animation service studio is a studio who offers its services to producers in order to get the job done. Usually, they just do the work, and wash their hands of it. They do not need to find financing for the project, and own no rights over it either because of that. They will offer all services, or a part of them.

Producers (Animation studios) need to find the money to make projects, aneed to find broadcasters, need to market their projects, so on and so on.

If you have a project idea, most studios will want to buy it from you outright(if it is good, that is), so that they control all the rights over it. They will want 100% of the control over the production. If you want to hold on to some of the rights, so that you can have a say over the look of the production (and some of the royalties), you need to negotiate that, and attach yourself to the project as a creative consultant, co-diretcor, etc. Being that you have no experience in the industry, I would think that creative consultant would be the best avenue for you to take, just so you can monitor that the project follows along the lines of your initial vision.

Good luck!

Wade

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon