Search form

Complete stories on demo reels?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Complete stories on demo reels?

As a recent graduate, I have put together my student animation(3D) reel and have been asking myself whether or not I should include my entire 2 minute 'story' or to just take parts of it and throw in a hodge podge of my best work. As of now, my reel includes my entire 2 minute story, plus two shorter pieces, which adds up to be quite a long reel with intro/outro, 4 minutes. I am concerned only because I have heard that employers like to see that I am able to tell complete stories, but I have also heard that 4 minutes is much too long. I'm torn.

Any thoughts? Entire story vs. bits and pieces of best work?

If you want to see what my animation reel is now, it's in the animation section at:www.CFMagovern.com

I appreciate any opinions/suggestions! Thank you. :D

"i love the graph editor"
[ChrisMagovern.com]
and visit me on myspace...

I like the 'what's new pussycat' clip best by far; then the first part of the live-action mix (the background in the second part sticks out like a sore thumb); then the 'Baryshnibots; then the short. If it were up to me I'd edit them in that order, and lose the 2D piece altogether.
Also, the list of software you have now is pretty meaningless, as there's no way you know all those packages thoroughly. You could make a list of your key apps and a second list of apps you've dabbled in.

cheers,
~D

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy [i]-Tom Waits
[/i]

I keep crashing every time I try to look at your demo reel. It is kind of weird. And I keep sending error reports to Microsoft, but the technician still hasn't shown up at my door ;) .

I do not think that 4 minutes is too long at all. My demo reel is actually 5 minutes plus... However, I had 13 years of productions (over 30) to try to cram into it. I just could not make it any smaller, no matter how hard I tried. Still, I do not think you are in the wrong with 4 minutes though, but if you COULD shorten a bit, then do so. I would avoid the story thing though, as if your story sucks (pardon the expression), then your prospective employer will possibly be less than enthused in watching your demo. You are not there showcasing your writing skills. You are there showcasing your animation skills. Keep it as such. Edit together a nice demo to music (a montage of different sequences/scenes that flow together and work with the music) that keeps an audience interested.

I have yet to see your demo though. "Won't... Work..." (said in my best William Shatner voice).

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Although

He might not be showcasing his writing skills, but isn't one of the primary purposes to show stories not through dialogue or indirect concept, but visual invention? I'd say even though there's the movement vs. story schools separately, a blend is the best common sense deal.

The movie worked for me. I agree the 2D thing should be cut, I even like the order suggested. But 4 minutes is long, only because it's unedited. You wanna really smack 'em upside the head - blow 'em away. Because the field of competition is so large, get the best of everything, wash up the presentation a little bit......Make it "nice and lean"....

Thank You!

I'm on it! Thank you for all your input, guys... it's more helpful than you know!

"i love the graph editor"
[ChrisMagovern.com]
and visit me on myspace...