Search form

Flash Animation

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flash Animation

Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if anybody could recommend a good book that teaches how to use Flash. Also what is Flash MX?

Cheers,
gavvalion. :cool:

online try

http://www.cartoonsmart.com/

Not sure how good it is but there are some free tutorials

Books

When I started with Flash I found Flash 5 Cartooning by
Mark Clarkson pretty helpful.

Flash MX is the new version of the program

The Brothers McLeod
[SIZE=2]brothersmcleod.co.uk[/SIZE]

What do you want to learn about in Flash gavvalion? Are you looking more to learn website design or for character animation? Usually most books will either focus on one or the other, but not both.

Flash MX is the 6th version of Flash, an in my oppinion, the best version they've made.

The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks guys!

Grega I have seen that book it looked cool so I am glad that you suggested it.
Animated ape, I want to learn character animation and then web design for fun.

Cheers,
gavvalion. :cool:

I also believe that MX is the best version of Flash. It is so user friendly, compared to Flash 5. I have not tried Flash 2004 yet but I am very excited about it.

Flash has so great built in tutorials, which I think teach you very quickly and easily. I recommend just playing with buttons and working through the tutorials rather than reading the books. That's what I did and I taught myself Flash 5 in two hours...MX is a lot quicker to learn. In my opinion, books tend to make somethings seem a lot more technical than they actually are.

Enjoy playing with Flash :)

Ibis Fernandez wrote a pretty good one a while back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072133236/wwwlink-software-21/026-4102561-4455633

He's the owner of FlashFilmmaker.com. And has some of his tutorials online.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Hi Gavvalion,

I highly recommend the following books for learning character animation in Flash. They're easy to follow and I refer to them all the time:

Flash MX Design for TV and Video
by Janet Galore, Todd Kelsey

Hollywood 2D Digital Animation: The New Flash Production Revolution
by Sandro Corsaro, Clifford J. Parrott

The Flash Animator
by Sandro Corsaro

Sharvonique

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

Hey gavvalion,

I've also heard Flash MX Design for TV and Video is a good book to learn Flash with. I learned Flash back when it was version 4 with those 'jumpstart books,' the ones with the rabbit logo. Everything else I've learned from trial and error, friends, and on the job.

I can't really recommend a GOOD character animation book for Flash, as I haven't seen one yet. There are plenty of bad ones out there though so be careful. Your best bet is to read traditional animation books like "The Illusion of Life," "The Animator's Survival Guide" and "The Animator's Workbook." Once you've learned all the basics of animation just apply it to Flash. It's just another tool like any other.

Good luck,
The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

The Ape is right!

All the "Visual Quickstart Guide"s have a running bunny logo! Made by Peachpit Press.

ALL the VQG books from Peachpit Press are good. They have books for just about any software you can think of. Good stuff.

Splatman :D