Search form

Okay.....so I'm late for the party.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay.....so I'm late for the party.

Ken Davis de-lurking here.

Known about AWN for a while now, but never haunted the forums here for some odd reason....now I'm here.

Notice a familliar font in the form of Graphiteman, and was wondering if there's anyone else in place here who knows me.

I've been in the animation biz in the western Canada region for almost 20 years now ( been THAT bloody long???) and was teaching recently at Vancouver Film School.
Had a "misadventure" in Saskatoon last year and am trying to get back into drawing gigs again.
Storyboarding is my forte' now, but I've done a little bit of everything.
Looking for work too, so if anyone has some to share.........LOL

The biz has seen its ups and downs over the years, but manoman has it seen down over the past couple.
Anyone who recogs the old call signs of "Hammer" or "Arrow" or "that odd little toy-crazy man from Vancouver" pop in a say hello, willya?

--Ken

Ken Davis's picture

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Hi Ken,

Jeez. That is weird that you posted her enow. Someone was just asking about you. Ullalame (if that name means anything to you) was asking Graphiteman about "the Hammer" just the other day.

How's old Don Perro doing down there in Vancouver (Capilano College Don Perro, if you know him...)? If you see him any time soon, tell him Wade says "hi", will ya? He's an old frind, and even older teacher.

Anyways, I don't know you, but from an East side storyboard artist to a west, how's it goin' eh?

The business is pretty down, eh? I have been trying to get that point across on here for a while, but there are a few people on here who simply refuse to believe me (and even argue with me about it). Not like the hay-day of the late 80's early 90's at all any more. I too am looking for work now, so if YOU ever get too much, you can share it this way if you like...

Cheers!

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

hi ken..
don't know you. never met wade ( but kinda got a good feelin for him.. lol)
i do a bit of this a bit of that.
and , well, shucks , i'm just saying welcome around!
P.

Hi dear ol' Friend.

FYI I consider Ken a multi-threat in animation. He does it all and he does it all intimidatingly well. What can you say about a guy who has done it all from working for the big comic companies to instructing to animating on stuff like the original Ren And Stimpy to computer games....Everything.

I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.:)

Now I'm not completely sure but I think the Hammer handle (I have never called him that) came from his dart throwing technique when Gord Stanfield and Rocketship shared the same space during Strawberry Fields.

Hi dear ol' Friend.

FYI I consider Ken a multi-threat in animation. He does it all and he does it all intimidatingly well. What can you say about a guy who has done it all from working for the big comic companies to instructing to animating on stuff like the original Ren And Stimpy to computer games....Everything.

I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.:)

Now I'm not completely sure but I think the Hammer handle (I have never called him that) came from his dart throwing technique when Gord Stanfield and Rocketship shared the same space during Strawberry Fields.

Many thanks for the kind words, G-man. :)
G-man above is no drawing slouch either........the man's Donald Ducks still resonate in my memory. Learned alot from him too.

Ah....darts.......what a game......I took it too a whole dangerous level. Perfected the full-body follow-thru and remember piercing the wall a few times. Thru 1/2 inch plywood--the "THWOK" sound effect still makes me giggle. Moose still lives in dread of me picking up one of those things to this day.
As far as I know, the "Hammer" moniker was bestowed to me for that--I seldom hear it any more though.

Wade--The mere mentioning of me in the cyber-ether is like a beacon....a kind of bat-signal.
One simply exhales, forms the words.......and I am there.
Scary, I know.

Seriously the "word-of-mouth" avenue is one that I've been exploring given that I too, am looking for more means to draw for dinero. ( Actually, I'd rather teach--far more fulfilling at this stage of my life) and also to catch up with colleagues from times past. Its good to know what's going on, where and with who. making new friends doesn't hurt either.
Networking.....ugh...I hate that word, but its so vital.
Don't know Don Perro personally, but I'm trying to get into Cap College to teach there, so if that happens I'm sure we'll meet.

And, yeaaa, bruthah, I hear ya about those old boom-times. So many new-comers to the biz hear the tales, but they've started to become something akin to folk-lore. The lean times were a bit too lean.....and all the signs SEEM to indicate busy times ahead for us all.

Oh, we can hope....

--Ken

Welcome Ken!

Welcome to the forum Ken!

It's always so nice to have another animator around!