Search form

I need help

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need help

I have a cartoon idea that I need to pitch to someone. I do not have enough to pay for an agent, and I was wondering how I can find someone who will read my script. If anyone has any direction and help I would appreciate it very much.

Hey, sorry I am not able to help you with finding an industry or agent to hear your cartoon idea. I was just curious what do you mean by you have a cartoon idea? Is it that you have a idea to creat a story or the whole storyline? by the way did you succeed in finding your help?

well, the advice i have to offer is the advice a lot of people HATE to hear.

Learn about the business.
Find out how things are done, whose doing them and how they got in.
Its not a simple matter that almost anyone can waltz in off the street and slap down a script--the "infrastructure" really tries to dissuade that from happening.

Is the script written in the proper format? Is it complete?
Is it relevant to current animation productions?

Seriously the BEST root is through an agent, because that is what they are meant for.
Gaining the attention of an agent should be a priority, as should a entertainment lawyer ( who can act as a agent at times)

I cannot stress the value of persons like that in the process--trying to do it on your own is.........well, unless you have incredible connections, is impossible.

--Ken

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

thanks

The cartoon idea that I have is an action adventure cartoon. I have a cartoon bible, premises, outlines already written. I have started out in the business a year ago having no idea and I have come a long way but need to go a step further now. I have had an interview with IDT at a script exchange. Now I need to know how to continue to get further into the business. I have sent some scripts out to some studios to read and have not heard back. Do you have any further advice on any other direction I can go in? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Just to advise you on this:
If you take a look at the numbers of cartoons being broadcast, now and in the past, you'll see that action/adventure is a rare beast.

This is because those kinds of shows are, sadly, somewhat difficult to produce. There's standards and practises issue with almost every action series, because of the percieved levels of ( antcipated) violence and thusly, many producers and studios shy away from them.
A great number of action adventure shows that get pitched also tend to be either too derivative, too involved complex for a young audience ( such shows just don't have a wide market for older or prime time audiences) or are too esoteric.
The numbers of "kiddie" shows is testimony to the relative ease in getting such ideas off the ground.

Am I trying to sway you towards doing comedy or pre-school shows?

Oh gawd no!

My own personal preferences are in the arena of action/adventure. Its what I enjoy as a consumer and what I like as a creator.
The shows are a pain to work on, and a pain to get off the ground.
It takes, IMO, real stones to champion such a project, because of the obstacles that show up.
You'd need the fortitude of the hero of your story to succeed at times.

--Ken

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

advice

Thanks for the advice and I understand that action adventure is hard and I know that I do not see very many that often myself. Have you ever worked on an action adventure project? Do you have any further suggestions? I have looked into having a studio produce a 5 minute flash presentation to be sent in with my materials to be able to see the concept better. My cartoon is more geared towards the tween audience because I myself as a consumer have seen the industry slip in not providing much action adventure. I feel that the industry was the strongest when they had action adventure and will try to revive that control. I am also up for any suggestions if you have any.

is there a group or type of agen one needs to approach? for instance im creating a new studio where we will create characters, write the content and then animate it (to a certain extent).
now to pitch these ideas or to sell the ready content what kind of an agent can one get?
regards,
skinny.

Hi Guys,

I think an excellent resource that may help to answer some of your questions are two books that I reference a lot.

The first is "How to Write for Animation" by Jeffrey Scott. He has chapters that specifically deal with how to get an agent, how to work without an agent, and tips for pitching your project. The second book is "Producing Independent 2D Character Animation" by Mark Simon. I consider the interviews with industry execs and cartoon creators in the back of the book to be invaluable because they discuss aspects of the pitching process.

Sharvonique

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

An supposing you lived in a galaxy far, far away, or in Cuba, what should one do? :confused: