Search form

question about french animation houses

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
question about french animation houses

Hi all.
I have been in the states for a while now, and, I was thinking of going back to france .
The thing is .. When I left France, i was not at all interested in animation, so, i never bothered looking up animation places over there.

Does anyone on this board Know a little more where I could look to find animation Houses over there?

Or , even, What the state of the animation industry is over there??
Thanks A bunch
P.

Hi Pascal.

You might want to look into Aplhanim, as they are probably the most happening company in Paris right now. They have done and are still making some really great shows.

Other than that, look into Futrikon (they do some REALLY cool stuff), Ante Films, Les Filmes de la Perrine, and Kayenta Productions. I have met with people from each of these studios, and they all seem to have something positive to offer the industry. Kayenta Productions is owned and operated by an American woman by the name of Kourtney Kaye, Les Films de la Perrine by Dominic Boischot, Alphanim by Clement Calvet and Jan Van Rijsselberge, and Gladys Morchoisne at Futurikon. I cannot remember for the life of me the guy's name at Ante Films, and I cannot find his card. Sorry mate.

As far as I know, the industry is still moving pretty well in France though. AT least, that is the indication I get from them. Wish I could be more helpfull on that end, but alas, I cannot.

Cheers, and good luck!

(I guess that answered my question in another thread if you were of French origin or not. I saw some things in the way you wrote that looked to be of French influence)

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

holy smokes wade..
this is AWESOME!!!!

oh yeah..
i'm french allright
i have been in the states since right after i graduated from school, in 2000.. right in time forthe big .com crash
lol

nevertheless..it served me well.. sincei was then able to learn so many differen aspects of the animation industry!!!

there you go

thanks a lot wade
P.

Check out 'Folimage' they made one of my all time favourite shorts 'Au Bout Du Monde (At The Ends Of The Earth)'

http://www.awn.com/gallery/folimage/residence.php3#aubout

The Brothers McLeod
[SIZE=2]brothersmcleod.co.uk[/SIZE]

Kinda related thread so I hope you don't mind me butting in !!! :)

I too was wondering how/ where I could find out information about 2D and 3D animation in France and the Games industry. Are there any general info. sites worth visiting ??

The only resource I can think of that would give you as much info about the animation houses in France is the AIDB (Animation Indistry Database) which AWN supplies. You will get contact names there, and studio names and phone numbers, web addresses, and e-mail addresses. Unfortunately, I am unaware of a site that showcases all the French studios as a whole, so you will have to research them individually. As for game studios, I don't think that the game industry is as big in France as it is here in Canada, in the US, and the UK and Japan, but don't quote me on that.

Good luck!

The only resource I can think of that would give you info about the animation houses in France is the AIDB (Animation Indistry Database) which AWN supplies. You will get contact names there, and studio names and phone numbers, web addresses, and e-mail addresses. Unfortunately, I am unaware of a site that showcases all the French studios as a whole, so you will have to research them individually. As for game studios, I don't think that the game industry is as big in France as it is here in Canada, in the US, and the UK and Japan, but don't quote me on that.

Good luck!

hey thanks Wade..

It's just an idea I'm playing with at the momment (possibly working abroad that is) So anything is a help.

cool :)

mr potts..

When Iw as still In France, there was that game studio called EDEN studio in Lyon.
They were doing car gamea at the time.
I know they are still around and doing pretty well.
They were very very nice people too.
Also, UBISOFT is in france, a big player there actually
They are always looking for modellers and animators, and , if not in pAris, they have offices in casablanca(yes THE casablanca)i've had some friends that have actually worked as modellers with ubisoft( but i can't say they were overly impressed with the management .. and, i can hear a gazillion animators here all at once bellowing a"SO, WHAT'S NEW?")..lol

etranges libellules also is in Lyon.
Actually, Lyon is a big hub for the game industry which, ( ANd this is for you WADE, is definitevely NOT as big as in the US or Canada( allthough, i have little idea of how it is in Canada!), but is a growing community in France

here is Eden studio's webpage, and the etranges libellules one also

http://www.eden-studios.fr/data.php?lang=gb
http://www.etranges-libellules.fr/
http://www.ubi.com/FR/

and here is a " yellow pages" for french video game companies
http://www.afjv.com/annuaire_studio.htm

Cheers!
P.

Excellent :)

Again, thanks for the details, I'll follow them up. I pretty much know what is going down in Canada, US etc. with regards to the games industry, finding much about France seems to be quite difficult for some reason. I'm currently a 3D Animator for a games company (although have a traditional background )
And was just interested in what was going on and where in France (apart from Paris !) But it won't be for some time until anything happens !!! :) BTW this is the first time I've used these forums even though I've been using AWN for a few years now ! They are supa-helpful...

anyway, thanks for the replies...

I had no idea that there was a game industry in France. Good to know. We have Ubisoft here in Montreal as well (the head office is here). Pretty damned big place, and they do CHOICE, QUALITY stuff!

Montreal is BOOMING in the game industry currently, and gets bigger by the minute.

Cheers

I agree. Ubi-Soft are (imo) one games company that does produce quality animated games..correct me if I'm wrong but much of their animation is done in Canada. I never seem to hear to much about what is coming out of France....games-wise that is !

Check www.afca.asso.fr
they have a listing of French animation companies.
You can also try www.jiraf.org for French video game industrie.
French animation industri has been going on quite slow this few years, many people on the market for very few jobs. Many animation studio have been closed and most of the work is being sent overseas...
That a view from the inside.

Good look mister Potts( by the way..'looove that name... makes me think of a code name!)
Wade..
hu.. Nothing to say to you, ecept that i'm seeing your name on the forums so often these days, it seems as If i actually know you and belive you shoul look small, fattish, smell of flames, wear horns and a big grin on your face!!
lol

You are always so helpful .. Thanks!

Caroline( tu vas rigoler, mais, ah chaque fois que j'entends ce nom, evidemment comme un ahuri, je pense a Solar.. desole!!)
J'ai visite ton site web... et meme si je ne suis pas arrive a downloader ton film, j'ai vu tes illus.. vachement sympas!!!!
Bravo.
Et merci pour le "insiders's " point of view!!

P.

Monsieur Potts.

Yes, most of Ubisoft's games are animated here in Montreal. They are one game company who's primary focus seems to be on quality, rather than producing garbage, just for the sake of producing it. I am very fond of this company.

Pascal... I am a devil... Hehhee... That is a charicature of myself ;) . No... That is my mascot/logo character for my company, Infernal Creations. I animated him in an animated logo, of which our resident sound guy (music guy) who did some music for you is doing a little piece of music for. I can't wait to hear it!

Caroline... De remerciement pour l'information de l'industrie française, et les sites webs pour les studios. C'est genial!

Santé! (Cheers... doesn't really have the same effect in French...)

Hey Wade.. are you guys using Brian??
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!
he's really good!!!

I can't wait to post the senior stuff as soon as teh gjdj.fj.ndngn avid gets working and i can put them together!
lol!!!

P.

just as well you guys are speakin' French....it one thing I'm gonna have to learn if I want to try and work there sometime :confused:

Thanks Caroline. That is one of the reasons I moved from traditional animation into 3D. A few years back, most of the jobs in London were being shipped to India etc...not too handy ! :( I guessed that would be the same in Paris ?

au revoir :)

Salut Pascal,

dis donc, pas étonnant qu'on ait le même background au niveau des mangas (concerne l'autre Thread à propos des mangas). Evidemment si tu viens de France, je comprends que tu ais pu voir Goldorak :D

Sérieusement, as-tu essayé de contacter "Les Gobelins". Comme c'est l'une des meilleures écoles de France, voire du monde, ils doivent avoir une bonne base de donnée chez eux aussi.

Merci Caroline (t'as raison Pascal, ça sonne MC Solaar :D) pour l'info, je ne connaissais pas cette base de donnée.

And now the same in english (It was the french lesson brought to you by Coco-Cala, sponsored by Nuke) :eek:

Just joking. if you want to know what I said in french above, please push the red button on your mobile... and if nothing happend, well, it's normal :D

Hi Joel.

Vous parlez en français ? Je vous aurais pensé pour parler en Flamand ? La plupart des Belges que je connais ne parlent pas français beaucoup. Pas de tout.

Cheers

Hello Wade,

Thanks for trying the French.

yes, true I'm a french speaking Belgian. Yet, as a Brussels born people, I must be bilingual (French/Flemish) - but this is only true for Brussels (Walloon are French speaking as a whole). That's the base, after that you learn other languages as English or Japanese (as I begin to do now).
(As for the fact that I'm a supposed bilingual, I must admit that since I've always worked with frenchspeaking people I've loosed my abilities to talk well in Flemish. Hopefully, I can still read it.)

Yet, the fact that you know more Flemish Belgians is probably because the animation field is far more studied in Flanders than in the Walloons part. things are changing, but really slowly... as usual . :D

Hey Joel,

It is probably a good thing you speak both French and Flemish. Flemish will get you around town in Bruxelles, but unfortunately, noone else in the world speaks it. At least with French, there is a much wider variety of people/countries world-wide who speak it, so your possibilities are a bit better. And ENGLISH!!! You know? There are people here in Quebec (a lot) who don't speak a freakin' word. This, I really do not understand, but... c'est la vie as they say.

Me, I speak English, French and Spanish. Admittedly, my french is somewhat "Tarzan-esque", but living in a VERY French neighbourhood of Montreal, and having a French Canadian wife helps me to learn more every day. I am almost embarassed that I speak better Spanish than French though, seeing as though I have only lived in Chile for a total of about one year (working), and I have lived here in Montreal for almost 10 years. Oh well... In Chile, you MUST speak Spanish to survive, so that was reason enough to learn it. Here in Montreal, an Anglo can get by very easily, as 80% of the city speaks English.

Anyhoo... Have a good one!

Hey joel!!
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
another frenchy on the site!!
cool

goldorak, mais aussi , albator, capitaine flam, les mysterieuses cites d'or, la noiraude, la linea, chapi chapo, et l'ile aux enfants!!
et ouais.. j'ai rien oublie!
lol

OOps..
in english .. these arejust names of old tv shows we use to have in France( and Belgium I guess!)

P.

By the way, Joel...
the gobelins...that's just a school, correct??

P.

Totally correct! It's a school.
mais je présume qu'ils doivent avoir une solide base de donnée d'entreprises diverses du milieu de l'animation et du jeu vidéo.

If not the better data base I know for the industry is AIDB, as Wade have said earlier.

I think I will turn un petit peu schizophrenic if je continue to talk in French and Anglais en même temps. :D

et ouais.. j'ai rien oublie!

He Ben si, t'en a oublié, et Ulysse 31, les Popples, Mask, Transformers... et avec ça je m'en vais manger un gloubi boulga, j'ai la dalle. Na! :D

ah bin dis donc, casimir, si tu crois que je t'aipas reconnu la!!!

Alors moi c'est barbabouille et tournicoti , tournicoton...
comme qui ne diraient pas les autres qui pompent et qui pompent!!
lol

ok.. for all of you who don't understand a word of french, and theones who actually do, but don't know about these shows, Joel and I are blatantly overideen the rules of the forum by talking memories ( cartoon related , of course!!)
lol
the shows We are mentioning are some that we don't see in the states.
like , Ulysse 31, which was based loosely open homer's odyssey..
ulysses in the 31 st century trying to find his home planet ..
Incredible character, especially NONO the little robot..

There was another show calle..
once upon a time ...man
il etait une fois l'homme
which actually won a few prizes for best animated show in his time which was a history of the world done in a lot of small episodes

the one thing that strikes me about these shows is that they don't fit most " regulated" styles that we find nowadays..
like the superman/batman style, or the he man new version style or stuff like that
hum..
i wonder if this is why they were so good?
or because we just remenber them as beeing cooler than they were!!

hey , joel...
what about .. jayce !dare dare motus et le village dans les nuages...
et , le clou...
watoo watoo!
HA!
lol
P.

Ca fait plaisir dfe lire du français par ici...

But lets talk english.

Pascal > Thanks for what you said on my illustration

You can also check here : www.fousdanim.org, it's a French animation comunity, thay have a few links.

They also may have information on the french industry on Annecy film festival web site : www.annecy.org

hey , caroline!
thanks for the link.. again!
this is great
fous d'anims!

you're welcome .. your stuff is good...
hey, guys, have you seen Caroine's stuff??
it's worth checking it out!!

P.

I just checked Caroline's stuff. That "bonne fête-bop-bop" song (Defi #1) was funny... caught me off guard. The best one, I thought was the little blue guys, animated in flash. I have NO CLUE what the guy is saying at all (he is speaking FAR too fast for me to decipher)... Sounds like the French "Scat-Man". And yes... I do speak French, and I STILL couldn't understand it.

Cheers!

I just noticed on Caroline's site (Carzy about animation - fous d'anims), she has a nice list of French studios posted. Check here and you will see them. I did not look really hard to see if there were game companies listed or not. Sorry... You will have to check that yourself. I noticed Les Armateurs on the list. Not really a studio I would want to work at, I don't think. I met the CEO at MIPCOM, and thought he was very full of himself and seemed like he was playing an image that was not very becoming. But hey... Work is work, yeah?

Cheers

Cheers